Groomer For Springers

Novjan

Hi

I need advice and recomendations on grooming my Springer spaniels, they are 11 months old, now that thier coats are getting long, and with the summer coming they are in need of a bit of a tidy up.

I have a person who walks my dogs when I am out all day, once or twice a week and they also groom but they are not trained or experienced in grooming Springers.

I read somewhere that a Springers coat should not be clipped? they need to be stripped?

I would like to be able to do as much as I can to keep them well groomed but I think they may need a professional every so often?

At the moment they are brushed daily with a slicker which removes a lot of loose hair and obviously thier ears need a good comb every day. We bath them occasionally, no real routine to it, just when they are bit ripe!

Can anyone recomend a good groomer in or around the Western Suburbs of Melbourne? one that would be happy to give me some pointers on grooming them myself?

thanks

Karen

sorry dont know anyone out that way, but i would say ask your breeder for some tips and suggestions, home grooming a springer isnt hard (stripping) but u need to keep ontop of it to prevent it from becoming a huge job... if ur dogs werent from a registered breeder then just contact one by searching the breed pages on Dogzonline and im sure any would be happy to give you some tips :)

I know of a Springer breeder in Sunbury that was doing home grooming for a while, I'm not sure if she's still doing it but I can pass on her details if need be. Hand stripping is a bit of an effort but well worth it - I'm a weirdo and think it's fun :laugh: Can you ask your breeder to recommend someone? A lot of groomers will not do hand stripping because it is very time consuming (or they don't know how).

It really depends on the type of coat they have and how much they have been affected by desexing. Some springers get a lot of pale/yellowish coat which is faded/fluffy, with some dogs this is easy to pull out a few hairs at a time, with other dogs is feels a lot better rooted - that is the type that will benefit from being clipped.

Working types probably need very little grooming, just a foot tidy up and neaten up the sparse feathers and maybe remove a bit of coat from the top of the head.

Show types have a thicker coat all over and will need more regular grooming, they are also the type that tend to require the clipping.

Yes I agree becks my old girl was an x show dog (hated the show) when I got her. In winter the coat would get really thick so as soon as the warmer weather came off came the coat. I had a really cheap set of blades and together we would sit on the kitchen floor where when I was finished I had enough fur to make another dog.