Pet Seized By Nz Spca

Sue

News Story and photos

A terminally ill Lower Hutt boy with a rare genetic condition is without his only friend after the SPCA seized his pet dog, placing it in "protective custody".

Brooklyn Griffen's mum sold her car to buy the cavalier King Charles spaniel puppy for her nine-year-old son a year ago.

Julie Hutton said she bought Ruby for $900 from a breeder on Trade Me as a companion for Brooklyn, who suffers from a mitochondrial disorder.

This means he cannot walk, is prone to illness, and has serious physical and developmental problems. Doctors do not know how long he will live but he is not expected to make it to adulthood.

Ms Hutton bought the puppy because her son does not have friends of his own. "I felt that a small dog would act as a good companion and give him something to love."

Ruby never ate very much and began to show signs of congenital illness, including seizures. Ms Hutton said she bought the dog special food and tried to encourage her to eat, but the puppy had trouble gaining weight.

Nearly three weeks ago, Ruby went missing from the family's Waiwhetu home. Two days later she was handed in to the SPCA, which says she was "seriously underweight and with other health issues".

Ms Hutton says an SPCA officer told her then that she was under investigation. "She said that, in her opinion, I had neglected Ruby and that I had deliberately tried to starve her to death."

Wellington SPCA chief executive Peter Mason said his staff denied accusing Ms Hutton of neglect, but he said the dog had been put in "protective custody".

Ms Hutton says when she tried to follow up with the SPCA and see what was happening, the staff member she dealt with told her she was not allowed to visit Ruby.

It was the puppy's first birthday last Monday. "I told her that my son was upset and said what I am supposed to do, he wants to see his dog and she replied, `tell him to get over it'. He knows something's wrong but I've just told him Ruby's in the hospital."

Mr Mason said he had spoken with the inspector involved and she had denied saying this to Ms Hutton. The SPCA was awaiting lab and veterinary results before it decided the dog's future.

Ms Hutton believes Ruby has congenital problems caused by bad breeding.

Elaine Maisey, who has bred King Charles spaniels for almost 40 years, said after hearing from Ms Hutton, and another woman who had a puppy which died after seven months of similar symptoms, she believed both dogs may have come from the same puppy farm.

"I am certainly going to write to the SPCA, because it sounds to me as though there are congenital problems."

So many questions and answers that could have been given. For example:

The dog has been in the care of the SPCA for nearly 3 weeks. Has it gained weight, has her overall health condition improved? Why are the test results not back?

What special food was being feed, when was the dog last seen by the owner's vet?

What is the name of the congenial (present from birth) defect the owners believe the adult dog has?

Was the bitch inadvertently injured as a puppy, causing internal injuries?

I dislike the style of reporting where the reader is asked to feel empathy for the owners when simple information is not provided.

when was the dog last seen by the owner's vet?

That was my first thought too. If the dog was ill, having seizures, did the owners take it to the vet? And if so, what did the vet say?

So hard to know if this is a neglectful owner, or just the SPCA being high handed & arbitrary again.

I don't like the style of reporting much, either. It's sad the sick little boy lost his only friend, but if they were neglecting the dog, the mother really only has herself to blame for that.

Edited by Staranais

there have been a few threads on a couple of nz messageboards talking about this story.. some feeling sorry for the kid and some for the dog.. personally i feel sorry for both.. the kid lost his mate and the dog wasnt looked after properly by all accounts..

but as someone said once there is 3 sides to every story.. the SPCA's, the owners and the truth...

• 2 weeks later...

New SPCA Chief returns dog

Yells of delight filled the air as a terminally ill Lower Hutt boy was reunited with his beloved dog.

Ruby, a one-year-old cavalier king charles spaniel, went missing more than a month ago. She was handed in "seriously underweight and with other health issues", according to the SPCA.

It put the dog in "protective custody" and refused to return her to her owners.

The family hired a lawyer to fight for Ruby's return.

The standoff came to an end on Saturday, after new Wellington SPCA chairman Craig Shepherd intervened.

Brooklyn Griffen, 9, screamed with delight when he and Ruby were reunited, his mother Julie, Hutton, said.

"He screamed so loud. He's hardly let her out of his sight since."

Ruby had also perked up, she said. "It's like she's come to life, she's so happy, she's running around all over the place barking. It was like taking a kid away from their family."

Ruby had a genetic illness and had always struggled to put on weight, even when treated to special dog food, she said.

Ms Hutton praised Mr Shepherd. "He was actually really nice. He said, `I'm sorry, it's gone too far, and I hope we can move on from this'. He's even invited Ruby out to his farm," she said.

Mr Shepherd said he acted to resolve the situation, after taking the reins at the SPCA on Thursday.

"I asked to look at the file, and I made a judgment call.

"I was sorry things got to the state they did ... perhaps they might have been resolved earlier."

As part of the conditions of Ruby's return, a vet will monitor her. "Hopefully it's the best solution for Ruby and for Julie."

Ms Hutton bought Ruby for $900 on Trade Me as a friend for Brooklyn, who suffers from a mitochondrial disorder. This means he cannot walk, gets sick easily, and has serious physical and developmental problems.

Doctors do not know how long he will live, but he is not expected to make it to adulthood.

Prosecutions taken by Wellington SPCA during 2009:

A Porirua dog owner fined $750 and disqualified from owning a companion animal for 10 years after admitting he ill-treated a dog. The man went away for a week without leaving it food.

A Naenae dog owner given 200 hours' community service and disqualified from owning a companion animal for 10 years. He pleaded guilty to failing to supply sufficient food and obstructing an inspector. The cross-breed was tied up in a garage with a bag of food dangling above it as punishment for chasing a cat. The dog was rehomed.

A Naenae dog owner given 60 hours' community service and disqualified from owning a dog for five years after failing to supply sufficient food. The emaciated cross-breed was given a new home.

Still before the courts:

A Lower Hutt dog owner charged with wilfully ill-treating an animal, ill-treating an animal and failing to supply it with sufficient food.

Prosecution pending:

Elderly dog with skin problems and arthritis seized. Lower Hutt owner may be charged with failing to seek veterinary treatment and ill-treating an animal. The dog was euthanased.

Formal warning:

Ad Feedback A Wellington man, with psychological issues, given a formal warning for ill-treating two kittens after he admitted killing them. Their bodies could not be found.

Lovely picture of boy and his dog in link. But nosey old me still wants to know the name of the genetic illness.