Hospice For Dying Pets In The Us

kenDOL

http://www.agedcareguide.com.au/news.asp?newsid=5473

People nearing the ends of their lives can turn to hospice care for comfort when there is no cure. And now, pet owners can get the same kind of palliative care for their dying companion animals.

The American pet hospice service in Greater Cleveland, Rainbow Bridge Pet Hospice, offers in-home care for senior and dying dogs and cats.

"Euthanasia used to be the only way to end a pet's suffering," says local veterinarian, Gretchen Kocher.

"Today, as with humans, pet hospice provides care, comfort and compassion for cats and dogs when they cannot be cured."

Pet hospice spares pets and their guardians from stressful trips to veterinary clinics and lengthy hospitalizations. Dr Kocher teaches pet owners how to give injections or test a diabetic pet's blood sugar levels.

Dr Kocher teamed with veterinarian Sharmyn Clark of Mobile Veterinary Care to offer hospice care, which includes pain management, nutritional supplements, orthopedic beds, heating devices, massages and medications.

She also helps grieving families decide when to put a pet to sleep.

The hospice is named after an emotional poem about pets crossing the Rainbow Bridge when they die, then playing on the other side as they wait to be reunited with their guardians.

"We recognize that many belief systems exist within families concerning their pets' care and euthanasia," Dr Kocher said.

"We believe whatever decision is made by the owner is always the correct decision."

Very interesting. I can't say I'd want it for my animal, but different people have different beliefs, and so long as the pet isn't actually suffering then I think those beliefs should be catered for.

I've done some volunteer work in the pacific, their culture meant they were very reluctant to euthanise even sick pets. It was interesting for me, as it's so routine in the West - here, most pet owners and vets things it's the only kind thing to do for an incurably sick or suffering animal. Whereas there, many people were very unhappy about the idea, they wanted to make the pet as comfortable as possible but let it die in its own time (as they would a fellow human). Like I say, it was an interesting experience.