Bird Nests And Snakes

myboyjosh

Had the biggest scare of my life the other day. Was inside ironing when a baby bird ran across the turning circle at the front of our house. Weird but not unusual as they sometimes fall or get blown out of their nests. Then my goldie Josh went out side to investigate the noise the mother bird was making. I assumed she was upset because of the baby running around on the ground. I followed him out and here he was standing under a large shrub/tree just outside the front door. As I walked over to see what he was staring at the shrub/tree hissed at me :laugh: . Thank goodness Josh was standing SOOO still, so I quietly called him out and rushed him inside. When I went back here was the tiger snake exiting the shrub/tree exactly where Josh had been standing.

The snake had been after the baby birds in the nest as one had already been bitten by the snake and was dead on the ground. This is what Josh had been staring at. Hubby and I then went to work and cut down all the shrubs/trees outside near the front door.

What I cant understand is why did Josh freeze like he did? His head was just resting on one of the lower branches staring at the dead baby bird. Normally he would have picked it up and ran off with it to play with. Any way we now have a very bare garden out the front and Im sorry to say some very upset birds as they have been nesting in those shrub/trees for so long.