Stumpy Nails

Hi Guys,

My male beagle always has had very short nails. They have never grown long or needed to be trimmed - they just seemed to stay the same stumpy length.

Yesterday when we came in from an hour walk I noticed his middle nail on his front paw was VERY STUMPY and it was bleeding a little. I checked all his other nails and all were ok except one other (front paw again) which looked like it had a little red dot on the end, it was not bleeding but it looked like a spot of blood.

I am living with my parents at present so have been walking the dogs for an hour each morning as they are coming to work with me during the day so it settles them and keeps them happy!! The walk I go on is through the bush, along paths and across grass.

He let me check his paws and did not try to pull away (if he was in pain he would not let me get anywhere near them). It has not seemed to bother him, he licked it once or twice (only the one that was bleeding)but has not bothered him otherwise. He has not gone back to licking it.

This morning I did not take him for a walk as I did not want to make his paw bleed again and thought I should let it heal 1st.

Any ideas on how long it will take to heal and what is the best way for it to heal - I did think of putting a baby sock on his paw to see if that helped (not sure he would keep it on).

He is almost 5 and this is the first time I have encountered this with him so it seems a bit odd as it has never happened before. I also checked the paw and inbetween his toes for a cut or something but the blood was def from the nail.

Any ideas would be great - Thanks!! :D

All that has happened is that he has worn the nail down too far on the footpath or bitumen. It will heal within a day or two, it's relatively painless, might be a little sore but no biggy. If you want to walk him, keep him on the grass for a few days till it heals. Not much else you can do really, except buy some doggy boots which will probably irritate him worse than a sore nail. Don't stress, he will be fine!

He may need a good going over by a doggy chiro to see if he is maybe out somewhere and is not placing his feet properly causu him to maybe drag his feet a bit.

The problem with our foster was because she was wobbly in the rear.

He may need a good going over by a doggy chiro to see if he is maybe out somewhere and is not placing his feet properly causu him to maybe drag his feet a bit.

Here here, I'd see a chiro. Also keep some condies crystals on hand. If the quick bleeds, pinch some of the crystals in your fingers and hold on the end of the nail....will seal the nail and stop bleeding instantly, feels a bit warm but works better than soap and cornflower etc and my dog doesnt complain and he's a big sook! I believe the quick can shoot back and then the problem reduces so fingers crossed it wont be reoccuring for you, best of luck!

Here here, I'd see a chiro. Also keep some condies crystals on hand. If the quick bleeds, pinch some of the crystals in your fingers and hold on the end of the nail....will seal the nail and stop bleeding instantly, feels a bit warm but works better than soap and cornflower etc and my dog doesnt complain and he's a big sook! I believe the quick can shoot back and then the problem reduces so fingers crossed it wont be reoccuring for you, best of luck!

I'd probably go some styptic powder over condees or potassium permanganate. Styptic won't stain the paws purple or brown. It doesn't hurt as much either, condees stings like hell, lol. I tried it out one day and yikes it hurt!

But yes a chiro might be a good option too if you are concerned his gait isn't normal. Good luck!