What Would An Entire Male Be Like Around A Bitch On Heat?

jacqui835

It would appear Jacqui835 is a great responsible dog owner and has her dog well trained so why not leave the decision re desexing to her? Ok so there can be the slight risk of health problems but there can also be problems after desexing.

Thank you. I have had these sorts of discussions in other threads before, and have done quite a bit of research on the topic as my dog is very important to me. I'm not convinced that dogs (and particularly males, with females it seems closer to 50/50) are physically better off after being desexed but thankfully in this country everyone is still free to reach their own conclusions so long as they are not hurting anyone else. My dog has no behavioural problems that would be solved by desexing - ie he doesn't roam or want to roam, he is fine around other intact males and I have just learned that he is still as responsive as ever to me around entire females coming on heat. He is also a large dog and is still under 2 years, so even if I was going to desex him, I would not have done it yet. I would never let him breed as he is too special to me, and I would be worried that anyone who wanted to breed a xbreed would not provide the right of home for these sorts of dogs. For the most part, you do not come across bitches in heat in public especially at an off-lead beach, this being my first ever... so for me the risk of this has not outweighed the risks of desexing (in regards to both physical and mental changes).

I still advocate desexing to the masses because their is an over-population problem of which I'm aware, and the majority of people unfortunately have not taken the time to properly understand their dogs and so the less urges and drive their dogs have the better. I'm not a believer that there is one right way for everyone here and so long as my dog is not causing anyone any problems or contributing to the over-population problem, I think he's fine as he is.

It would appear Jacqui835 is a great responsible dog owner and has her dog well trained so why not leave the decision re desexing to her? Ok so there can be the slight risk of health problems but there can also be problems after desexing.

Thank you. I have had these sorts of discussions in other threads before, and have done quite a bit of research on the topic as my dog is very important to me. I'm not convinced that dogs (and particularly males, with females it seems closer to 50/50) are physically better off after being desexed but thankfully in this country everyone is still free to reach their own conclusions so long as they are not hurting anyone else. My dog has no behavioural problems that would be solved by desexing - ie he doesn't roam or want to roam, he is fine around other intact males and I have just learned that he is still as responsive as ever to me around entire females coming on heat. He is also a large dog and is still under 2 years, so even if I was going to desex him, I would not have done it yet. I would never let him breed as he is too special to me, and I would be worried that anyone who wanted to breed a xbreed would not provide the right of home for these sorts of dogs. For the most part, you do not come across bitches in heat in public especially at an off-lead beach, this being my first ever... so for me the risk of this has not outweighed the risks of desexing (in regards to both physical and mental changes).

I still advocate desexing to the masses because their is an over-population problem of which I'm aware, and the majority of people unfortunately have not taken the time to properly understand their dogs and so the less urges and drive their dogs have the better. I'm not a believer that there is one right way for everyone here and so long as my dog is not causing anyone any problems or contributing to the over-population problem, I think he's fine as he is.

I agree, you sound very responsible with your boy, it's unfortunate that you can't stop everyone who is irresponsible from using public dog areas, there sure is some fools around. I don't see a problem with the bitch being on heat (I was unaware it was prohibited), the problem is more that anyone who doesn't have sufficient control of their dog shouldn't be using an off lead area.