Dog Fitness

I have 2 english springer spaniels that I need to get fit, I am teaching them to run on a treadmill, I walk them daily (on lead) I used to run them beside a bike to get them fit, but this is not an option this year.

So, the question comes, how long/how fast on a treadmill, how many times a week???

Thank you

all other suggestions welcomed!!

Heat and floodwaters are preventing my ussual training regime!

I have 2 english springer spaniels that I need to get fit, I am teaching them to run on a treadmill, I walk them daily (on lead) I used to run them beside a bike to get them fit, but this is not an option this year.

So, the question comes, how long/how fast on a treadmill, how many times a week???

Thank you

all other suggestions welcomed!!

Heat and floodwaters are preventing my ussual training regime!

I walk my dog on a treadmill everyday. My tips with speed/duration is to learn your dogs own limits. My dog walks very casually on 4km/hr. I generally put him on there for 30-40mins and also walk him outside, although he could happily go on longer than this. You will know you've pushed your dog too fast/hard if she/he isn't eager to hop back on next time. Always supervise your dogs on the treadmill and you might like to try short spurts of higher speeds/inclines and judge your dog's expressions to see if they are becoming too tired. I am training my sister's dog to walk on the treadmill (American Staffy) so his limits are endless. Now he is becoming quite confident at walking on the machine we can take him up to speeds of 14km/hr. He just LOVES it. At these high speeds I stand very close by and only do this for 2-5mins. A harness is a good idea for safety as well if you strap them on rather than a collar. For most dogs though this would be way too high. I would imagine a springer to walk comfortably at 6km/hr and probably even jog a bit higher than that for shorter durations with those long legs! If you'd like to see a video of my dogs walking on the treadmill here's the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/clipandcoach#p/a/u/2/pMFmkFdRzj8

Weighted backpacks are also great and swimming if possible. I also like to call my dog back and forth at top speeds from far distances it kills him!!!