Help! The *&^% Treat Ball Has Ripped Her Coat Off!

beenie

I'm mortified :D Poor Willow has been 'confined to quarters' this last week (after a snake bite 10 days ago) and to ease her boredom yesterday I bought her one of those blue rubbery 'Everlasting Treat Ball' thingoes. All Good, she thinks it's fabulous and it's kept her amused today when I needed to be out of hte house for a few hours.....

Until tonight when I was giving her a cuddle and ran my hand down her front between her legs and felt a large BALD PATCH :)

Totally bald. To the skin. O.M.G!!!

I couldn't figure out how on earth she'd managed to get in such a state. She's been lazing about on the rugs around the house all week - only going outside with me on the lead (apart from one heroic, but short lived dash for freedom when my 6yo mistakenly let her out - 2 mins of joy then back inside where she belongs!) and i was horrified to think that she'd rubbed herself raw like that (her coat is worse for wear after being hospitalised and house bound, but I have been grooming her every 2nd day and putting off a proper groom until the end of the month so as to keep her as calm and rested as possible...really didn't think it was THAT bad!)

Until I went in to the laundry to fill her water bowl...and found the bloody treat ball in the corner with tufts of her beautiful soft coat stuck all over it :p :)

My poor darling :-(

Please, is there anything I can do?? It must be so uncomfortable for her :-( I know it'll grow back, but I just feel awful :D God, i think I'll have to call our lovely groomer and ask her to come asap!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

If her skin is not irritated then I wouldn't panic it will grow back.

What sort of dog is she and I am a little puzzled as to how the treat ball has pulled out her coat. A groomer won't be able to help you as they cannot stick coat back on!

Having a bald patch won't annoy her but if the skin is irritated you can put a local anasesthetic or cortisone cream on the irritated patch.

I think you need to take a deep breath it really is not that bad.

Edited by OSoSwift

LOL, sorry should have said, she's a Wheaten terrier....soft, fine silky coat... apparenlty easily rubbed off by continued friction with slightly sticky rubbery treat balls being held against her chest with her paws (I've seen her hold bones etc the same way).

Yeah, I know hte groomer can't actually DO anything about the bald spot (obviously) it's more trying to limit the damage around the bald patch (long coat next to bald patch seems to = awful matting)

Ah righto.

I guess the only thing you could do is trim the hair around the bald spot to stop it matting as much but I am not sure if taking scissors to a wheaten is a smackable offence??????

Or extra brushing??

I am guessing treatball is going to disappear really soon!

Goodluck and lots of no mat vibes to you :)

TBH, the state she's in after being confined, shaved bits on her legs from drips etc and now this big bald patch, a 'short back and sides' is going to be the least of the problems :D Actually, it might be the best course of action. Will discuss tactics with groomer tomorrow.

Treat ball is in the bin (damned thing!) :)