Another 'which Breed' Topic

wings

Okay I'm a long time off my next dog as I need to get the training working on my current one first but as I prefer to keep most animals in pairs I'm planning for the second dog.

I love Shetland Sheepdogs but I'm thinking of staying away from fussy coats for awhile.

Any dog here has to cope with a rather bouncy kelpie bitch and I'd really like a dog that would be up for a good play to help burn off some energy. I'd like to go a bit smaller then my kelpie and lower energy then her... without being so low that he won't want to play! I'd actually prefer a mature dog over a puppy and would be open to a stable rescue dog.

As for enviroment I live rural but I don't let my dog roam. My dog has access to a mesh fence enclosure as well as a very large and well sheltered verandah. I'm already planning to extend the enclosure and when it reaches full size it will be about 1/4 acre. At night she goes away in her 'kennel' a kid's cubby house with her bed and blankets in it. I'd be open to putting in a second cubby for a second dog. Unfortunatly inside is not an option as I live with family and we have cats inside. That said I spend a fair amount of time outside and swim or walk my dog. Basically any dog I own needs to cope with the outside enviroment.

I'm fairly open minded on breeds and types so happy to hear opinions.

A JRT?

They seem pretty hardy and fun little dogs.

One of my labs best friends is a wire haired JRT. The dog is very playful and brave. It plays with all the big dogs with no troubles and often gets the better of them!

There are lots of kelpies in shelters and rescue groups if you wanted another kelpie.

A JRT?

They seem pretty hardy and fun little dogs.

One of my labs best friends is a wire haired JRT. The dog is very playful and brave. It plays with all the big dogs with no troubles and often gets the better of them!

There are lots of kelpies in shelters and rescue groups if you wanted another kelpie.

I'd been considering a JRT. They and their crosses also seem to crop up in shelters a lot. They also seem to show up on a lot of horse properties so I've met some nice ones.

We added a mature terrier mix from a shelter to our family last year. She is a perfect match for my border collies in terms of temperament & activity levels.

She would never cope living outside though and just like my BCs, needs to live inside with the family.

Terriers are great, but I am sure that the reason there are so many in shelters is they can be escape artists.

Corgi? Like Shelties but less coat and less noise and less prone to being highly strung. My corgi lived with a super active Kelpie cross for a while and they got on very well. Then again, my corgi got on well with most dogs. Played with anyone who was up for it, very tough and outgoing.

Swedish Vallhunds are similar but at the same time completely different. I am not entirely convinced my Vall would classify as lower energy than a bouncy Kelpie. :confused: He sleeps most of the day I guess, but when he's on he's on and there's no ignoring it. He needs lots of mental stimulation. A very, very clever dog and heaps of fun to train. But even tougher than a corgi. He plays with the big boys. He is very strong for his size and very game.

I'm guessing terriers are a good spot to look in.

Corvus I'm guessing Erik is your vallhund? He is adorable! I see you have one of my other favourite breeds as well, I'd love a Lappie! A lot of my fav breeds seem to be hairy :confused:

I do worry about escape risk. Given that my fences are dog mesh they aren't as sturdy as say a 6ft colourbond fence! I try to keep things interesting on the correct side of the fence. I rotate toys, Tannin loves her ramp up the verandah and I'm going to put in a sandpit to bury things in.

If that doesn't work I can always hook it onto the electric fence ;)

Corvus I'm guessing Erik is your vallhund? He is adorable! I see you have one of my other favourite breeds as well, I'd love a Lappie! A lot of my fav breeds seem to be hairy :laugh:

Yes, Erik is extremely cute. :love: I think it's those pixie ears. :cry: I've never met a more engaging dog. He is very switched on! Lappies are also gorgeous. I like my Nordic herders. They are a good compromise. Easy to train like a traditional herder, but a little less intense and lower exercise requirements. They tend to be very friendly, too.

Not sure what I mean by "traditional" herder... Vallhunds are a very old breed and Lappies while getting a breed standard recently have been around as a type for a long time. :love:

i would say a border collie or a koolie. My kelpies likes dogs with similar activity and drive. thats why we got a dog of the same breed but we didn't have restrictions on the cards.

doesn't hurt to look on rescue websites for cross breeds you might find a dog that suits.

I would say a Koolie would tick all your boxes :love:They have "off" switches lol.

You would be able to get a adult rescue and/or slightly older pup.

Plus there are many colours and 3 coat lengths to choose from.

Great all round dogs :love:

You mean working dogs have an off button? :laugh:

I'd liek to know if kelpies have a "somwhere in the middle" button. If mine isn't lumping on her bed she is full speed ahead!

Seems like another working breed or a terrier might be the go for her.