What To Put In Crate?

Sooky

Hi was wondering how people set up their puppies crate previously we would put bed in one end and newspaper/puppy pads at the other then eventually remove the paper/pads when pup could go all night. Is this what most of you that use a crate would do or should it just be a bed thats in there?

Just the bed. Don't let the puppy piddle in the crate, the idea is to take the pup out of the crate, outside to the toilet, not teach it to pee in it's bedroom.

Dogs are naturally clean and don't like to toilet where they sleep, which is the basis of crate training.

Yep - definitely no peeing in the crate.

Bed only. If the pup is small (for now) and the crate is big, use some kind of barrier inside the crate to make it smaller. Your dog should be able to sleep comfortably, get up, turn around etc but not have enough space to get away from the bed.

My dogs just have their bedding and a small, non squeaky toy each in their crates. For a pup I would be setting an alarm and taking them out every four hours or so just to be on the safe side. You really don't want them going in their crate, it leads to toilet training issues down the road. As soon as they come home the only good place to toilet is outside, make sure any accidents are cleaned up really well with white vinegar or a washing powder with enzymes in it, it's the only way to remove the ammonia smell which lets the dogs know its a good place to toilet. Needless to say any cleaning product with ammonia in it needs to be thrown out :mad

I had water for my pup. It was in one of those bird dishes - it is a metal ring that secures to the side of the cage and then the metal bowl slips into the ring - it meant the water couldn't be knocked over and wet the bedding.

Found pic ...

post-1668-1298981049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tilly