Any Good Groomers These Days?

Well... my experiences has shown me that the prices quoted throughout this thread seem about right.

I've been grooming for just over two years. I desperately want to work for myself, but at the moment, funds aren't being cooperative!

I've just been offered a job in a salon, $18 an hour. Ouch! In both respects - physically and financially!

Might have to reconsider. Yes, it will be great for keeping my speed up, but I have a feeling as the primary groomer, I'm going to be inundated and feel rushed into doing more dogs than I'm comfortable doing.

I, like you and many other groomers Kirstgoldens, want to make a darn good job of each dog I groom, not just rush through to make the owners of the salon bags of money :confused:

Feeling unsure about the whole thing now.

TT - unless you are a junior, I think $18 an hour is way too low. Is it casual rates or permanent full time? Fancy a move to Victoria? We are interviewing right now.

Sags

:rofl:

Nope, not a junior, though I've been grooming for the amount of time I have, I have had breaks and so I do need to get my speed up a bit. But I will be their only groomer.

I guess it would be classed as casual, as the owner has said to me they could either pay me a wage, OR I essentially sub contract to them and invoice them each week for my hours (however I guess that also means I'm liable to pay my own GST)

Wish I could move to Victoria, I'd work damn hard for you!

Rethinking the whole job offer now! lol

bugger trix... i sub contract its good for my situation but ihave sene it fail very badly for others... its a realt toss up :confused: I work for myself and set my own prices and what not but pay commission as room rent and advertising - kennels gets 15-20% of each groom i do to cover their costs and we are all making a packet so we are happy with the arrangement for now

bugger trix... i sub contract its good for my situation but ihave sene it fail very badly for others... its a realt toss up :laugh: I work for myself and set my own prices and what not but pay commission as room rent and advertising - kennels gets 15-20% of each groom i do to cover their costs and we are all making a packet so we are happy with the arrangement for now

kirst

have sent you a pm, cos i've got a few questions! hope you dont mind (dont want to hijack someone elses thread here).

I'm getting nervous about this job now! lol