Dog Pedometers/gps

I am looking for a dog pedometer or possibly even a gps. I take my two for off leash bush walks and have often wondered how far they travel. I can do my distance but obviously they are running ahead and back to me all the time so I was just interested to see the distance they do.

This is only for interest sake so I don't want to spend a fortune. Google hasn't been kind, only came up with a site that no longer stocks the dog pedometers.

I don't think that a human one would work. I have even considered strapping my iphone on one of them with the gps ap that I use to calculate my distance!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Garmin do a dog GPS collar called the Astro that gives a readout to your handheld GPS to show you where your dogs are, but it's very $. Also illegal in NZ since it uses one of the government radio channels - not sure if it's legal in Aussie.

Funnily enough I have one here still in its packaging, happy to send it to you if want

Would love it thanks! Of course I will pay for it and postage!

PM me your address and I will post it to you, it came to me with a bunch of toys for my dogs so happy to pass it along

Would be interested to hear how you go with it tho......

• 1 month later...

Ha ha, just seen this, I thought I was the only one! I got a sunshirt for Louis and put a pocket in it with a velcro fastener, then, having downloaded easytracker, I put the iphone in the pocket and sent him on his way.

Bit of a dilemma though whether I left the ringer on. I turned it off then thought if he lost it there was no way of getting it back, but leaving the ringer on might have spooked him if someone rang while he was on his travels. Being a BC, he would probably know how to answer it!

I left it turned off, and after several romps through the bush the phone is intact and it is very interesting to see where he has been.