Tear Stains

I know many who use Boracic Acid Powder to remove stains and tear stains.

True, boric acid is used in many of the tear stain eye pastes and even in human eye drops. The term acid sounds scary but if used properly it is pretty effective at killing the bacteria.

"Of greater concern, the misuse of antibiotics is morally indefensible because of the risk of bacterial resistance." Thank you Dazla!

I have made this point before about Angel Eyes only to have people saying it's the only thing that works. I spend a lot of time at work explaining why I won't give antibiotics randomly for diseases I do not believe are bacterial. Rational use of antibiotics is use of the correct drug, appropriate for the condition, at the correct dose, for the correct duration.

I can't understand why people would chose to have their dog in long term, low dose antibiotics to counter a cosmetic issue. Many of the show animals will place and win and get used at stud while on Angel Eyes thus perpetuating the problem. Perhaps we should attemp to breed lines with more functional tear ducts?

Unfortunately most people do not understand that using these products can lead to sub optimal dosing. They have no idea how much tylosin they are administering and the instructions are inadequate.

I guess that with regard to bacterial resistance sub optimal dosing is potentially more dangerous than over dosing.

Perhaps you can use the example of the EU market at the turn of the century as evidence that tylosin is not the only solution. After the VMD et al started enforcing the law and preventing the sale of these products the owners had to turn to alternatives.

BTW can you confirm that the use of tylosin by dog owners without a prescription is prohibited?

With regard to breeding- I agree in principle but there would still be a need to understand tear staining as the processes involved are mirrored in beard/saliva staining

May I please say it has already been reported on a similar discussion on this Forum that the macrolide antibiotics found in Angel Eyes (very low levels) are a natural polyketide.

It was also reported that there has been research into this products usefulness and safety. It was also stated that it has been found to be 100% safe over long periods.

I do not use this product for tear staining. When the discussion first arose I did not use the product but I do now. :thumbsup:

"Several repeat-dose studies were conducted in rats and dogs; most of these studies were carried out some years ago and are not to modern standards. In a 2 year study in the dog, doeses of 200mg/kw and above caused vommiting, diarhoea and pyelonephritis"- http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Maximum_Residue_Limits_-_Report/2009/11/WC500015760.pdf

"mild renal effects... were seen in 1 out of 4 dogs"- http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Maximum_Residue_Limits_-_Report/2009/11/WC500015764.pdf

Most of the sites promoting the tylosin based products are trying to sell you the stuff and not the truth.

How many mention the wider risks of cross species bacterial resistance?

"In general the main concern is that resistance to tylosin can select for macrolide resistance in organisms that can colonise man and cause disease... Tylosin is not used in human medicine but other members of the macrolide group are. Cross-resistance across the group is an important consideration and many organisms resistant to tylosin were also resistant to erythromycin"- http://www.bioagrimix.com/haccp/html/tylosin.htm

I am not laying the blame for MRSA and other super-bugs at the door of people that use Angels Eyes but they are in part, possibly contributing to what the WHO and others refer to as one of the biggest threats to mankind.

There are environmentally safer alternatives out there- even Angles eyes sells one- why not give those a try first?

Edited by dazla

I have found that many animals with tear staining due to blocked tear ducts respond very well to gentle massage under the corner of the eye. Some dogs will only need this to keep the problem in check others may need the tear ducts unblocked by the Vet. Change of diet to eliminate grains and sugars is also a priority. I have never had to resort to surgical intervention or products such as Angel eyes.

Another advantage of eliminating grains is that dental health might be improved- dogs don't have the enzymes in their saliva required to break down the carbohydrates in grains.