Herbs For Dogs (and Cats)

Hi All,

This thread is not so much about chit chat but ad hoc information from DOLers on herbs that they've found helpful with their dogs.

So lets keep the chit chat to a minimum to make it easy for people to find the information they need and easy for people to post:

Herb name:

Condition used for:

How used:

Observed changes:

Other information:

Acknowledgements:

Herb name: Herb Robert

Condition used for: Canine dementia/canine cognitive dysfunction (CCD)

How used:1/2 teaspoon of the dried herb well steeped in water once per day or added to wet food.

Observed changes:No aimless growling and barking since commencing on the 'herbal tea'. Day 16 today. Definitely much brighter and 'with it'.

Other information: Very minimal side effects found on the net. Well tolerated by my old westie. Also used in human cancer treatment and as a general preventative for well-being. Herb Robert is a member of the geranium family, and is a strong antioxidant and blood oxygenator. Active ingredients have apparently been isolated. Source of the mineral 'germanium'. Used by the Romani people medicinally for centuries.

Acknowledgments: Thanks tons to Boronia for putting me onto Herb Robert and to Isabell Shipard who gave Boronia the information to pass on.

Hope thats made it easy to cut and paste the headings so poeple can post their information which might help someone else.

Herb name: Skullcap (Scutellaria Laterifolia)

Condition used for: I have used it when Molly had a severe hotspot that she had to be sedated four days in a row for the vets to treat. She was frantic with the pain.

How used: I give 2 capsule twice a day for the first few days and then 1 capsule twice daily.

Observed change: It seems to settle her nerves and brings a calmness so that she can relax. It relaxes that feeling where they feel like they just want to crawl out of their skin by affecting the muscles and nerves.

Other information: Skullcap is a nervine, meaning it acts on the nervous system to soothe and calm. Quite often used in combination with Valerian.

Acknowledgements: A lovely very knowledgable lady on an American GSD forum.

Herb name: Arnica (Arnica Montana)

Condition used for: Effective in relieving pain or inflammation. I used it after my dog had surgery on her head to remove a large cyst.

How used: 1 tablet 3 times daily

Observed changes: No adverse reactions

Other information: Arnica tablets have been widely used as supplementary homeopathic treatment for bruises, strains and sprains, for pre- and post-operative care, for muscular pain, and for shock and trauma, among others.

Acknowledgements