Ball Obsession?

I have a ball obsessed working line GSD, but although ball and toy obsessions can be frustrating, you can actually capitalise on these obsessions and use them to counteract the effects they cause as the dog has great focus on a high value reward for motivational drive training. Ivan Balabanov CD's demonstrate drive training well where the ball or toy is used as a reward for the dog performing the correct behaviour. After learning the concepts of drive training and having an obsessive dog with balls and toys, they are easier to train than dogs of less drive and focus I believe.

post-40045-0-83314000-1306365238_thumb.jpg

Edited by PetSitters

oh okay I see your point. I was actually trying to think of something else that could stimulate the dog's mind rather than the balls but coudn't think of anything that he wouldn't become obsessed with too. Any suggestions Erny? maybe a rope toy or something?

What I'm suggesting is that, on the assumption the OP is organising to enlist the help of a trainer/behaviourist as soon as a trainer/behaviourist can make the appointment, is leave things be. Hopefully the trainer/behaviourist will not be unfamiliar with drive training.