Car Chasing

I am after some advice in regards to my 2 year old cross chasing cars. It's only a new habit. If I have him on the lead he will pull towards a car driving past as if he wants to chase it, I had a situation the other day which scared the hell out of me. Jet managed to bolt out the front door when my sister opened the door. He wouldn't dare try to attempt that if it were OH or I at the door but for some reason when it's someone else he does. Well a car was driving past the house and he went and ran after it chasing and barking and he nearly got hit! :mad:cry:

Lucky the car stopped when they did and came to see if he was ok. I hadn't caught him by then and he bolted off down the street a couple of houses away after another car. Lucky I caught him before it went further but I was so upset! Anyways I am after ways to solve this in the future. Advice? TIA

I am after some advice in regards to my 2 year old cross chasing cars. It's only a new habit. If I have him on the lead he will pull towards a car driving past as if he wants to chase it, I had a situation the other day which scared the hell out of me. Jet managed to bolt out the front door when my sister opened the door. He wouldn't dare try to attempt that if it were OH or I at the door but for some reason when it's someone else he does. Well a car was driving past the house and he went and ran after it chasing and barking and he nearly got hit! :mad:cry:

Lucky the car stopped when they did and came to see if he was ok. I hadn't caught him by then and he bolted off down the street a couple of houses away after another car. Lucky I caught him before it went further but I was so upset! Anyways I am after ways to solve this in the future. Advice? TIA

1. I'd be instituting a system of a gate inside the front door. Two barriers to exit is way safer than one.

2. Recalling a dog giving chase is challenging. I'd be heading to a trainer for an intensive recall workshop AND some desensitisation to the excitement of moving cars.

Desensitisation and counter conditioning is a good idea. Start below threshold (ie, at a distance from cars where he's noticing them, but not trying to chase). Reward profusely for not chasing. Also teach an incompatible behaviour, such as look to handler when a car is going past.

For your recall to overpower a behavioral problem is an unlikely challenge for you to win IMO. You need advice from a good behaviorist/Trainer. They would probably start with desensitisation techniques coupled with rewards I guess.