Advice Please

I think even if your dogs got zapped they would still bark, maybe it is useful if you are afraid they may bite one of the neighbours. Doesn't seem that fair though- to your dogs.

If you are definitely moving, I would be inclined to put up dog runs, as close as possible to your house. At a 90 degree angle to the back fence IYKWIM. Then I would run about 4 layers of shade cloth over whichever panel of the dog run/s is visible to the problem fence line, and consider planting a fast growing hedge there i.e. pitosporum.

My thoughts are that if your dogs don't bark, and can't get to the fence line, the neighbours won't be reinforced for their bad behaviour. But this may or may not be a feasible option for you regarding space and cost.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I think even if your dogs got zapped they would still bark, maybe it is useful if you are afraid they may bite one of the neighbours. Doesn't seem that fair though- to your dogs.

If you are definitely moving, I would be inclined to put up dog runs, as close as possible to your house. At a 90 degree angle to the back fence IYKWIM. Then I would run about 4 layers of shade cloth over whichever panel of the dog run/s is visible to the problem fence line, and consider planting a fast growing hedge there i.e. pitosporum.

My thoughts are that if your dogs don't bark, and can't get to the fence line, the neighbours won't be reinforced for their bad behaviour. But this may or may not be a feasible option for you regarding space and cost.

I agree that if the dogs don't bark at them the kids are going to be less inclined to tease them. But my problem is that if I keep both dogs away from the fence line the kids will be more able to hang over if nothing is there to stop them. When I put in the second fence I caught them sitting on the fence 'cause the dog couldn't reach them. The Father also tried to jump the fence to thump my Husband. The Father tried to punch the Bullmastiff. The Bullmastiff is rightfully wanting to defend his property and a bit sensitive if he hears the fence rattling now. It seems unfair to stop him using the backyard when he has done nothing wrong. But I know I will have to enclose him because I am someone who will do the "right thing" and I am the responsible one that can see what will happen if things continue like this!

These kids are not regular kids you would be happy to have interacting with your dogs. They have done damage in the neighbourhood in the past and I do not want to encourage my dogs to be accepting of them in any way! But yes it is beyond that now anyway. And yes the Father is a tool. I feel guilty selling the house knowing some one else will have to put up with him. :eek:

My strategy will have to be to raise the fence where the kids are teasing them. If I make it difficult for them to get to/and see the dogs and lessen the ability of the fence to rattle I think that will help. If I take the Bullmastiff out of the equation and put him down the other side of the house when we go out I think that will help too. I don't want to spend too much cash 'cause ultimately what we spend now we can't use to get outta here.

Oh well, at least life around here is not boring at the moment... :laugh: