Raw Bones

I second the deer antlers, best money I've spent in a long time. I bought two, but after a couple of months of power chewing, he's still gnawing away on the first one.

I have never fed these, but was wondering if they might wear the teeth down :confused:

I couldn't tell you, to be honest. So far it hasn't with my boy, he has excellent and very white teeth. They do "dissolve", just very very slowly and therefore are a lot less messy, and they don't smell.

Would the medium size deer antler chews from that website be good for a golden retriever pup? I'm assuming it's safe to give them to young pups? It says they're 14-16cm. Our pup will be 8 weeks when we get him. Or would it be better to wait until he is older?

Thanks!!

what is it exactly about the bones she is sensitive to? Odd that she has diarhhoea as bones usually cause hard poos.

Can she handle any raw meat at all? Does she have some type of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) or IBS (irritable bowel) Has the vet investigated her sensitive stomach?

I also have problems with bones- my dog is a guts and occaisonally breaks off a chunk without chewing enough which she then vomits back up (usually in the middle of the night- not a nice sound to be woken up by :vomit: )

I have found lamb necks and shanks very good for her and she doesn't have this problem with them.

Have you tried lamb flaps? They are very good. It may just be a matter of finding a suitable type of bone hopefully?

I also want to try roo tails for my dog but am yet to find a butcher that will supply this.

Guest english.ivy

I second the deer antlers, best money I've spent in a long time. I bought two, but after a couple of months of power chewing, he's still gnawing away on the first one.

I have never fed these, but was wondering if they might wear the teeth down :confused:

I bought two for my dogs and they don't touch them. They're both laying about the backyard somewhere.

Hi, my GSD has had issues too and can't have most bones. I also found she doesn't do well on the expensive kibbles and bones then tip her over to full on runs. I actually tried SuperCoat sensative and she was heaps better and now can tolerate chicken carcasses, roo mince, small amounts of beef mince, turkey mince, salmon. Lamb mince is a no no for her. It all started when I tried to move her to better kibble. Another thing I tried to give her variety and another bone source, I was reading about someone feeding Salmon Heads to their dog. I tried it she loves them. I remove the fins and toss it on the grass for her. She eats it entirely and I haven't noticed her smelling from it either but she is an outside dog.

So anyway perhaps look at the kibble as an issue as well.

Hi, my GSD has had issues too and can't have most bones. I also found she doesn't do well on the expensive kibbles and bones then tip her over to full on runs. I actually tried SuperCoat sensative and she was heaps better and now can tolerate chicken carcasses, roo mince, small amounts of beef mince, turkey mince, salmon. Lamb mince is a no no for her. It all started when I tried to move her to better kibble. Another thing I tried to give her variety and another bone source, I was reading about someone feeding Salmon Heads to their dog. I tried it she loves them. I remove the fins and toss it on the grass for her. She eats it entirely and I haven't noticed her smelling from it either but she is an outside dog.

So anyway perhaps look at the kibble as an issue as well.

Just out of interest, did you try one particular brand of expensive kibble or a few? It might be just one ingredient in the kibble that she is sensitive to, which is obviously not in the Supercoat you are feeding her now (for example it could be lamb in the kibble which you mentioned she cannot tolerate). As far as kibbles go though, Supercoat doesn't seem to be too bad if you compare ingredients with higher end brands.

My Staffy loves salmon heads too, but I haven't bought them for her in a while - thanks for the reminder :D

Yep, several, also tried lamb based ones, chicken based and a salmon based one. Proplan chicken she was a bit better but still not satisfactory, salmon a little bit better again. I did alot of researching too and after reading some others using supercoat sensative with success I compared & really it was similar but without all the fancy ingredients (fancy is debatable but couldn't think of a better way to put it) and it had less fat and of course protein. I think part of the issue with her is a fat issue and lamb. But the change was within 24hrs of moving her across. It all started because I wanted to move her off Bonnie onto a better product.