1 On 1 Training For Walking

I adopted a beautiful 3 year old Tibalier a few months ago. He had no training but has picked up sit, drop etc with me. However, I have been unsuccessful training him not to pull on the lead and need some help. :doh:

Can anyone recommend a good trainer? I'd like to just have a few one on one training sessions rather than a group session. I also do not want to use a trainer that is going to recommend a choker collar or halti - I want a trainer that prefers to use actual training to correct the problem rather than devices.

Any recommendations in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne would be greatly appreciated.

Allie

Edited by allie181

I'm not sure of any actual trainers in that area, but I go to Northern Obedience Dog Club in Moonee Ponds, with my little girl. I've also had her for a few months, and she had also had no lead or other training, and was really timid. I've found this obedience club great so far, and actually wish I'd started taking her sooner. The first classes are all about walking nicely on the lead/heeling, sitting, dropping, and starting on-lead recall. We're only in level 2 now but I've learnt so much in my time going there, and have probably benefited from it more than my dog has. She picks everything up really quickly, I'm the problem in our little partnership haha.

All of the trainers have personal views about choke chains, but as far as I've been able to tell, none are keen on haltis for the reason you mentioned. I use a normal collar with my dog and would refuse to use a choke chain if suggested anyway.. :)

I know it's not what you asked for, but I figure there's no harm in suggestions!

you dont want corrective aids - what happens if they are what the dog needs?

I travel to Melbourne or if you are willing to come to Geelong for a session you are more then welcome

There may be some instances where corrective aids are necessary as a last resort, but I refuse to believe they are necessary for a dog that simply pulls when he is walked but is otherwise perfectly behaved and loves all people and animals. It is not as though he attacks or lunges at anyone when we walk. He does not have an aggressive bone in his body, he simply pulls too much.

a dog does not have to be aggressive in order to need a corrective aid. Have you tried standing still and calling him back every time he dashes away or have his favourite treats in your hand on the side he walks on and drop little bits as he stick near you?

No probs, come and say hi if you do end up coming to Northern Obedience! I'm short, dark hair and glasses, and have a silver toy poodle. The only silver one I've seen there so far :)