Bullmastiff Puppy Questions

Guest _MADCAT_

Guest Angel88

Hey all,

My name is Josie and I currently own a 5 month old Bullmastiff called Frank.

As the breeder I got him from seems to want nothing to do with him anymore and wont answer any of my questions I have with him I thought I'd ask the DOLers to help me out.

(she is meant to be a registered breeder and he has pedigree papers but I'm just upset with the NO contact from the breeder...)

So, I know his dad was 70kg and his mum was 50kg... He is 5 months old and weighs just over 30kg so would that mean he'd take after his dads weight and be a big boy?

His movement - He sways when he walks, his bum "swaggers" I guess from side to side like a snake as he walks, is this normal for a big breed puppy?

He has most of his adult teeth but one of his k9's has a baby tooth still there. I give him bones and things to chew to help dislodge it... is it normal?

He has his regular vet visit in 3 weeks so I was going to ask the vet when he goes for his check up but thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks in advance!

imag2123.jpgimag2124.jpg

imag2222.jpgOur 14 year old cat Max and Frank watching the world go by

imag2236z.jpgFranks friend Diddy (our friends dog)

imag2287.jpgFrank passed out (please ignore the dirty floor!)

imag2291.jpgFrank today posing after I put my car away (pardon his lipstick!)

imag2293.jpgAnd finally frank today at the dog park with his buddy Dozer the Rottweiler and the 6 month? old husky.

With regards to weight, it can depend on the dog. My parents' current bullmastiff is 60kgs (his mum was 50kg odd, dad was 75kg), the other male before that was just over 50kgs (not sure on his parents). You do need to watch their weight to ensure they don't get overweight.

The puppy teeth will fall out, our vet told us they would remove any residual puppy teeth when our cockers were desexed. But being a large breed the desexing will be later to help with growth, so ask your vet.

Otherwise, he's a beautiful boy!! :D I'd never had anything other than a bullmastiff growing up and I am very fond of them. Cockers are my new love, but I will one day have another bullmastiff.

Josie, I can't answer any of your questions, sorry. :( I'm sure others on DOL will have useful advice.

I just wanted to tell you Frank is stunning! What a gorgeous face :love: He looks like a lovely boy sitting calmly with the cat. :)

Guest Angel88

Thanks! he is pretty cute, but a cheeky little bugger!

he doesn't mind the cat Max, he will just sit infront of him crying because we tell him no he can't touch him haha.

Hi Josie,

His weight sounds pretty good for his age. You want to keep a young bullmastiff lean during their first 12 months as this aids in maintaining healthy bone and joint growth.

In regards to the swagger this can just be a case of him going through the "lankies". Did your breeder provide you with copies of the parents hip scores?