How Do You Train A Baby?

Elise+Hudson

Hey guys! As most of you have seen by now, I have a gorgeous little guy who is coming up on 11 weeks of age this week. I have been trying to teach him the basics of standing without wiggling, gaiting alongside (he is very bouncy, trying to jump + run), he has been learning to be touched while standing and mouth touched.

I really need some guidance as to how to teach him, and what I should be teaching him? He is such a nice little guy and I want to give him the best chance I can, even for his first shows. :D He is also such a fast learner, I feel like if I knew how to go about it we might get there a bit quicker! :D

He is going really well with clicker training so far, but if you don't train with a clicker, I would still love to hear your training ideas/tips!

- Also if anyone knows of show training classes anywhere near Dubbo, please let me know!

Edited by Elise+Hudson

With lots of patience. I started off with Isaak just getting him to stand still....and if he managed it for a split second he got praise and a treat. Then over time we extended it, and then I started placing his feet where I wanted them. Short sessions, lots of fun, lots of praise. For gaiting, we just kind of trotted around until he was gaiting nicely and got praised then but it took a few goes before he did it nicely in the ring.

I made mistakes with Dusty in that I was so serious about everything, and she also became serious about it. She wanted to badly to do everything right and please me that she never looked like she was enjoying herself. I lightened up with Isaak and it took him a lot longer to "get it" in the ring, but he goes in there looking like he's having fun and consequently looks showier for it.

I'll be the first to admit, I show my dogs for fun. I get bored doing it weekend after weekend so I give myself and the dogs long breaks and do other things. But the weekends we do go to shows, we have a blast and I love the day out with the dogs. It means though, that Isaak took a long time to learn calm behaviour in the ring but he's good now and I'm always so proud of him when I show him.

Hey guys! As most of you have seen by now, I have a gorgeous little guy who is coming up on 11 weeks of age this week. I have been trying to teach him the basics of standing without wiggling, gaiting alongside (he is very bouncy, trying to jump + run), he has been learning to be touched while standing and mouth touched.

I really need some guidance as to how to teach him, and what I should be teaching him? He is such a nice little guy and I want to give him the best chance I can, even for his first shows. :D He is also such a fast learner, I feel like if I knew how to go about it we might get there a bit quicker! :D

He is going really well with clicker training so far, but if you don't train with a clicker, I would still love to hear your training ideas/tips!

- Also if anyone knows of show training classes anywhere near Dubbo, please let me know!

Practise, practise, practise and remember to try and make it fun!!!

:D