Progesterone Level For Frozen Semen Insemination

winpara

I have a bitch I was hoping to breed this season with frozen semen (TCI). Unfortunately as she is very clean I have missed the start date of her season and only found out last night when one of the boys alerted me to her. I had checked her about 10 days ago and she definitely wasn't in however first prog test today gave the result of 79 :( I believe optimum level for natural mating is 20-25 but have known someone who had a natural vaginal insemination at a level of 80 and got a litter of 10. I haven't done frozen before but I am thinking this level is probably too high? Tomorrow mid morning will be the earliest I could arrange the insemination, around 24 hrs after the prog test so levels will no doubt be even higher then. :(

I only have one breeding of this dog so want to be 100% sure it has the best chance to result in a litter.

I will of course speak to the vet in the morning but hoping someone with experience may give me some insight tonight. :) Luckily the bitch tends to cycle every 4 months so if we have missed her it isn't too long to wait to try again.

Giving it a miss this time *sigh*

Apparently they can inseminate at about that level - the problem with her of course is that as there was only one test to go by we don't know how quickly she got there.

ie- if she had been going up slowly and then jumped to that level that would be ok but if she has already been up there for a day or two then we will have missed the boat. And there is no way to tell now.

From her physical signs I would have considered her *hot* and ready to mate yesterday, and had I planned a natural breeding would have done so. But not risking my precious frozen fishies on it!

Will cross my fingers and hope she gives a few more signs next time, and she will be having white bedding too I think! My Border Collies advertise to the world the minute they are in season and all take at least 12 days to be ready... unlike this fräulein who hardly swells, is spotless and goes from 0 to hot in a week! :rolleyes: There I was thinking GP stood for German Pinscher, thinking now it might be Grand Prix! and she is red so that makes her go even faster ;) :laugh: