Did My Dog Really Just Relocate Her Dislocated Jaw?

Jodi

My Rotti x, Tia (8yrs) turned from looking out the window and smacked the side of her face into the coffee table. She apparently yelped (I wasn't here at the time, my OH did all the panicking) and her bottom jaw was pushed to the left. OH wasn't sure what he should do but didn't really get to think about it cos Tia nudged it back into place herself. I can only assume it was dislocated, as I didn't see it. OH said it was very obviously dislocated and he heard it click but he can't remember if it was when she hit her face or put her face back together (!)

I have felt all around her mouth and jaw and she doesn't seem to be in pain. (I haven't tried opening or closing her mouth though--but she ate some soft food--I mushed up some dog loaf and while she didn't gulp it down she lapped it up ok and is drinking water ok).

Obviously I will have to go to the vet but this all happened after hours and because she isn't in any obvious pain, I haven't called in.

Any experience with something like this?

My poor girl, I think she is losing her eyesight, her hips have started giving way and now this.....:(

Sounds a bit like she did. I have only had dogs dislocate toes and then I have accidentally relocated their toes, feels a bit yuk under the fingers!!!

If she has she may well be quite sore so softer food in bite size chunks is good so cubes of meat of cubes of dog roll. Theya re easy for her to pick and and get to the back of her mouth without too much effort. A trip to the vets int he morning is a good idea, they can presribe pain killers/anti-inflammatories if required.

Having dislocated and then relocated my own finger I can tell you when it is out it hurts like hell, as soon as it is back in the pain is only quite slight but it does swell and is tender for a while.

Having done it once she is more likely to potentially do it again now that everything has been stretched especially in the time just after the initial episode.

Poor love hope she is okay and not to uncomfortable