Reacting To Other Dogs

ludwig09

Hi everyone,

My 2 year old dog has started reacting quiet badly to other dogs when we are out walking. He is barking like crazy and occasionally lunging when we see another dog. I did try to just continue walking ignoring him but it just seemed to escalate. Now i am taking him away from the situation and trying to get him to focus on me, then clicking and treating but sometimes he is so worked up he cant even focus. Its really stressing me out which i know wont help the situation. Has anyone had this with there dogs and been able to correct it? If so i would like to now what method you found effective?

Thanks in advance.

Have you thought about getting help from a behaviourist?

Maybe if you let us know your approximate area someone might be able to recommend one.

I know it seems like a cop out to just recommend a behvaiourist every time, but with a reactive or aggressive dog I think it is really the safest thing we can do.

I definitely know of people who have resolved this problem with the help of a behaviourist.

Doing it yourself or out of a book, may or may not be ok, it depends on your experience, ability, and the seriousness and cause of the dog's problem- these are things we can't really assess online.

There was a recent thread in training on reactive dogs that is interesting to read. But the recommendation to find a good behaviourist is seconded (and thirded etc etc)as they can observe and advise on both dog and human components of the problem which leads to a much faster resolution.

It seems to be a fairly common problem, these days.

(from another reactive dog owner) :D

There was a recent thread in training on reactive dogs that is interesting to read. But the recommendation to find a good behaviourist is seconded (and thirded etc etc)as they can observe and advise on both dog and human components of the problem which leads to a much faster resolution.

It seems to be a fairly common problem, these days.

(from another reactive dog owner) :D

As above!!

I sympathise with you, but this is a problem that can be managed!

Visit the training thread - there are 2 topics there that might help - and if people are saying the behaviourist they've mentioned here is good then getting advice from them will probably be invaluable to you.