Ulcerative Colitis In Dogs

trinabean

So it looks like my 10 month old Boxer pup Bruno will be spending his 2nd night at the vet hospital. He had been refusing to eat and has been flat and lethargic. He has had diarrhoea, vomiting and an elevated temperature.

He's been put on IV fluids and antibiotics and had barium and xrays to check for any obstuction. The good news is that there's no obstruction. The down side is that it's looking more and more likely to be Boxer Colitis (Histiocytic Ulcerative Colitis) given that he has a history of frequent diarrhoea plus other symptoms. :(

My question is, does anyone have a dog that has Colitis? What are your experiences of the best diet/ treatment options? I realize there are different types and causes of Colitis and that there is no 'one size fits all' solution. Just looking for some ideas and things I can ask my vet about.

Edited by trinabean

A diagnosis of histiocytic ulcerative colitis should ideally be made after biopsying the colon and identifying bacteria within the mucosal wall. This along with tissue culture leads to the diagnosis, rather than just young Boxer + diarrhoea = HUC. If it is not HUC, then there are several general recommendations for colitis including definitive treatment for intestinal parasites including whipworm, a hypoallergenic or novel protein trial and fibre supplementation. However, if there is a positive diagnosis of histiocytic ulcerative colitis then there are several recent reports suggesting that a long course of treatment (4-16 weeks) with a specific antibiotic has lead to complete resolution.

Feel free to PM me if you like.

Thanks for your reply Rappie.

I've just gotten back from the Vet hospital as Bruno had improved enough to come home. He has come home after having an injection of Vit B12 and with a weeks' worth of antibiotics too.

When I spoke to the vet on the phone earlier today she commented that colitis was looking more and more likely. The vet who admitted Bruno yesterday said that if she suspects Colitis she prefers to treat for it (rather than biopsy first I guess?) and if the dog's condition improves it confirms the diagnosis. Elsewhere though I've been reading that a biopsy is the definite way to confirm a colitis diagnosis. :confused: She also said that any treatment for Colitis can't begin until the dog has finished growing as the medications can interfere with growth.

This afternoon at the release appointment (with a different vet) we discussed things in more detail and another possibility came up as Bruno has been itchy lately too. He's started scratching his stomach/ chest in the last few weeks. So now I've come home with a diet sheet and instructions for a 6 week elimination diet trial. As Bruno is such a poor eater and a biscuit-hater I will need to source and prepare specific quantities of both a novel protein and a novel carbohydrate.

Anyway, that's where things are at now...

'Colitis' is a non specific diagnosis and in general yes, it is diagnosed without biopsies and is quite common. For a definite diagnosis of histiocytic ulcerative colitis you should have a biopsy, but sometimes that isn't possible. It sounds like your vet is intending to treat with enrofloxacin given her comments about growth - this is the correct antibiotic and there are reports of it interfering with cartilage growth in young, large breed dogs but it is not something seen clinically at the standard dose rates. For treatment of general colitis then yes, I would generally go for a suitable antibiotic (usually metronidazole) and a low residue or hypoallergenic diet. I'd also be more inclined to continue this is a stable patient and pursue an alternate diagnosis if there wasn't sufficient response (ie, I was concerned about histiocytic ulcerative colitis). Colitis and haemorrhagic gastroenteritis aren't that uncommon in young dogs, particularly if they have a propensity to eat 'things that are not food' :)