Immune System Support

NOCTRL

Hi Dol'ers,

My puppy has been diagnosed with mites (demodex). I'm quickly learning a lot about these little critters. He has medicine from the Vet which will hopefully kill the mites, however i'd like to also give him something to help his immune system (my understanding of mites is that most dogs, especially puppies, have mites but that they only cause problems when the pup's immune system is compromised allowing them to spread at take over!).

Though mites sounds a bit yuck, I'm glad we finally have an answer as to what it is (we did an elimination diet, environment etc).

I'd love to hear some suggestions on what i can give him to help his body out. His diet is good and is fed a combination of dry / tinned / raw of good quality.

He is an SBT and almost 5 months old. (Pic enjoying his weekly Malaseb bath...not)

post-42095-0-50899800-1324338673_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Kirby & Arby

A healthy, active lifestyle and proper nutrition can help support a dogs immune system.

Plenty of exercise and activity eg. playing with toys, walking, swimming etc. Exercise will also relieve stress, which can affect immunity. A clean and fun environment will help eliminate stress and boost immunity.

A balanced diet with fewer carbohydrates and more proteins and vitamins is essential to supporting the dog immune system. Avoid cheap dog food that is usually composed mostly of carbohydrate fillers and find a quality product with plenty of proteins from recognizable ingredients, such as chicken or beef and not a generic "animal meal."

Vitamins, herbal or fatty acid supplements can provide immune system support. A dog with an over-active immune system will require different treatment than one suffering from a deficient immune system.