Flyball In Canberra

Hi, I am looking at starting flyball with my BC and was trying to figure out where to go. Both CDC and Tuggernong seem good so hoping for opinions or experiences people have had with either one.

The trainer we had at puppy school said she didn't like tuggeranong but other people say it's much better. Is it really much of a muchness?

Simple really

Go along to both. Meet the folks, say G'day see how they train, see if what they do is what you like, and then join the club that seems to be the best for you your dogs and what you hope to get out of it. Flyballers are generally great fun people who are normally only too willing for you to come along and see and give you a few pointers. Just be careful the sport is very addictive!!!!

See you at the nationals in feb (which are being held in Canberra)!!!

Thanks everyone, I have contacted both clubs and one has invited us to come down on their next training day and have a go which is lovely as I'm not even sure if she'll like it. But being a border collie I'm pretty confident it'll come naturally.

Thanks everyone, I have contacted both clubs and one has invited us to come down on their next training day and have a go which is lovely as I'm not even sure if she'll like it. But being a border collie I'm pretty confident it'll come naturally.

Don't be disheartened if it doesn't happen right away. Can take 6- 12 months to get a dog running reliably (some times a lot longer hey wherezaball???) there is a lot for them to figure out, but they do enjoy it!! Good luck

Bull arab- can you please tell bluey it should only take 6-12 mths. Its been that long plus two years for him and he is still not quite there!! He is special though lol

Ok that's a best case scenario!!! My last dog took 12 months to learn how to learn before she started training (what was I thinking with a rescue dog) and then took 12 months to get it right, but as I have said before the time was well spent her box turns belong on a spring loaded DVD and her very first run was 4.6 seconds!!! Our super smart Aussie is so blond he took 2 years...... On the other hand we have a new JRT at beginner class that picked it up in less than 2 months (just to annoy us all)....But my much better half has been doing this a LONG time and she tells me it should take 6 - 12 months (did I mention the Aussie above is her dog).

Edited by Bull Arab

Bull arab- can you please tell bluey it should only take 6-12 mths. Its been that long plus two years for him and he is still not quite there!! He is special though lol

Ok that's a best case scenario!!! My last dog took 12 months to learn how to learn before she started training (what was I thinking with a rescue dog) and then took 12 months to get it right, but as I have said before the time was well spent her box turns belong on a spring loaded DVD and her very first run was 4.6 seconds!!! Our super smart Aussie is so blond he took 2 years...... On the other hand we have a new JRT at beginner class that picked it up in less than 2 months (just to annoy us all)....But my much better half has been doing this a LONG time and she tells me it should take 6 - 12 months (did I mention the Aussie above is her dog).

Its always the people new to flyball that manage to get their dog running quick.

The Kelpies have all learnt it in a month or two then spent months proofing (or testing me as I think they are actually doing). Bluey can run 4.2 in a team in any position, but can't run NEXT to a team so is being trained form scratch!

The Lapphund...... Well lets just not talk about that one :rofl: