Australian Kelpie Coat Colours

jazzygirl

Hi all,

I need help regarding the colour genetics when breeding. I have been looking on the internet but I seem to be mo0re confused!

Our Purebred Kelpie bitch Jazz had her 1st litter of pups in May 2010. Jazz is a Red and Tan and the dog we used was Black and Tan, ALL 10 (1 still born) were Black and Tan. My question is, will we only be able to get Red and Tan offspring if both parents are Red and Tan? I do hear conflicting statements, hence the confusion. Both Jazz's parent's were Red and Tan but on her Sires side there seems to be alot of Black and Tan down the line.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you

I think - and this if from Dobe colouring, that the male is most likely a dominant black. This means any colour he goes over will be black and tan ( having said that he may not be you would need to look at the colours of previous bitches he has mated and the colours of the subsequent puppies.

If he is/was a black who carried red then you would have both colours in your litter. Obviuosly they could potentialy carry the gene for dilution so blue or othr colours also or instead of.

Hmmm makes sense yo me so I hope it is not to confusing. I know what I mean, someone can probably explain it better than me :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Some people may have DNA for colour potentially as well.

In Dobes there were 7 different colour types from memory, maybe it was 9, anyway you could have a

type 1 black, so dominant black

Type 2 black carrying brown

type? Black carrying blue

type ? Brown

type ? Brown carrying fawn

etc etc

Not sure exactly what they all were and what number as the breeder I got mine from bred blacks and browns and stayed away from the dilutes