Mystery Wound/irritation

Hey guys!

Firstly, just wanted to say this is a great community. :) Been so helpful already! :)

And secondly I come here with another problem/worry. My beautiful cheeky toy poodle Ebony was playing in the yard the other day and the same night I noticed a swollen bump with an open wound (about half a cm long) on top of the bump. It was located right below her anus (couldn't find a nicer word, sorry guys!) and at first I thought it was a tick, but after cleaning it out I noticed it looked like she had actually bitten herself (possibly scratching it)

Anyway, I put some dog friendly antiseptic on it and the swelling had gone down ALOT this morning, however there is still a fresh wound there and it is leaking a browny/yellowy fluid now and again. But she doesn't appear to be in pain when I dab it with the dog antiseptic (anti-itch made by aristopet?)

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Not sure if it is a mozzie bite or another bug bite, and when should I start to worry if it doesn't heal properly?

The anti-itch is doing its job but I'm just a bit concerned about that wound.

Cheers guys

Also: I attached a really nice picture of my poochies, hope you like! (How do you attach a picture properly?)

http://pets.webshots...SORP?vhost=pets

Guest Arcane

Hello.

From what you are describing I would hazard a guess at a ruptured anal gland, in which case a vet visit is in order.

Regardless, I would see the vet with a 'mystery' open wound.

I had a look online and the location looks spot on. It's actually improved ten fold since this morning but I will give the vet a call.

The reason why I am not so speedy to the vet is because I own horses and due to large animal vets being ridiculously pricey, many abrasions and (depending on the size) wounds can be cleaned and treated at home. The amount of times cetrigen has been useful for my (now) 9 year old labrador is lots.

Also, what causes ruptured anal glands? Do they just 'burst' like a pimple? or would they have to be itchy to begin with?

Guest Arcane

The anal glands are a scent gland each side of the anus. Usually when the dog defecates a little bit of matter from the anal gland is expressed so it never builds up, but in some dogs, often the smaller breeds (but not always) a combination of things such as diet and conformation mean that doesn't happen naturally and the matter builds up in the gland until it becomes impacted. At that stage if you look closely you would notice a swelling near the anus. That often goes unnoticed by the owner and at some stage the pressure in the gland is too much and it ruptures outwardly. this causes the matter to express and immediately reduces the swelling, but leaves an open wound. The wound may heal on it's own, but I wouldn't recommend taking the chance.

Anyway, if it is a ruptured anal gland you will want to talk to the vet about future management.....and it may be something other than an anal gland problem, such as a grass seed may have penetrated the skin or even entered the body via the anus. You can't be sure, so good luck at the vet :)

Edited by Arcane

Ahhh ok I see. Thanks for clearing that up! I'm used to having big dogs and the poodle breeder did mention the anal glands but at the time I didn't quite understand.

I'll give them a call now. At least it doesn't sound life threatening (which is good, I get easily worried about these things). :) Cheers for the help!

The anal glands are beside the anus. And if one has ruptured, you will smell it. However, I think because you are not sure what is wrong, and you are concerned about it, it may be worth going to the vet.

Hey guys took Ebony to the vet and you were spot on. Abcess that had caused a ruptured anal gland. Vet said 95% of cases come good, the other 5% are more chronic and come back more often but already she is showing signs of improvement on the antibiotics. :D

So glad it has put me at peace of mind! :)