Incidence Of Heartworm In Nsw, Qld & Sa

If Mosquitos are the problem how is it transmitted from dog to dog?

Dog one has infection. Mosquito bites dog and becomes infected.

Infected mosquito bites dog two, dog two becomes infected.

Mosquitos are the vector- so no mosquito= no chance of infection. No infection in dogs one = no chance of infection.

Mosquitos are the vector- so no mosquito= no chance of infection. No infection in dogs one = no chance of infection.

Yes, although I believe there are climatic conditions that are a pre-requisite to the heart worm lava developing to "infectious" phase within the mosquito. If the climatic conditions aren't met, then the development is ceased and the whole route needs to begin again.

Edited by Erny

Yes, although I believe there are climatic conditions that are a pre-requisite to the heart worm lava developing to "infectious" phase within the mosquito. If the climatic conditions aren't met, then the development is ceased and the whole route needs to begin again.

Yes the larvae need a minimum temperature to mature- so if you drop below that then there is also no chance of infection. This is a very popular approach in America- they have charts that tell them when they need to use protection but I will admit I am too forgetful to do that. It does mean people in the southern areas of Australia have a much reduced risk compared to far north QLD where the temp rarely drops low enough.

Dr Sarah Mitchell, Pfizer Animal Health

How exceptionally interesting... Pfizer is the manufacturer of Revolution. Very very interesting.

I'm trying to get the paper.

That's the question Stormie, did we influence the drastic drop? When only half the population was ever on preventatives was it us, or the environment mostly responsible for the reduction from over 30% to 0.3%

Interesting to say the least.

I'm still getting bitten by mozzies in Sydney, so mine are still on their monthly tablets

Yep I think I will always continue, just like I will always get my puppies vacc'd.

Even in winter, I just couldn't be sure that some of the mozzies aren't coming from homes with heating etc in some way too.

Quite what I think. Except here, even in winter, you get mossies. Certainly worse in summer, but year round pests and potential spreaders of the disease. But I think when Maya goes in next week for vaccination, I will ask our vet when she last saw a Heartworm infected dog out of interest :)

Yes the paper is sponsered by Pfizer which is pretty normal.. they have vested interests in finding out these things and hence have the money to put into research.

Good to see some new data on rates as what I knew before was in published late 90s. I think a lot more people are using preventatives now...

I continue to use preventatives...I try and go to the maximum amount of time between dose (ie 60 days for sentinel) ... but for my allergy dog he is on advocate monthly so is protected anyway. I also use preventatives on my ferrets as they are outside and therefore prime targets for mozzies!