Reddish Faces And Feet In The Newborn Pup.

LizT

I thought it was normal. All the ones I've seen have been very red to start with.

I think you may be right Kirislin, and if it is related to low blood sugar then it must retify itself when the infant first feeds and get lactose into its system.

Well that's my theory anyway. :)

In this photo you can see the black/white pup has very red extremities. Pup had been drinking well from birth, so I don't think that a lack of lactose or low blood sugar.

pup.jpg

In this photo, you can see the off side rear paw has turned black and is effectively dead. Pup was still drinking well and was looking good, but was unfortunately pts shortly after.

pup1.jpg

In this photo you can see the black/white pup has very red extremities. Pup had been drinking well from birth, so I don't think that a lack of lactose or low blood sugar.

pup.jpg

In this photo, you can see the off side rear paw has turned black and is effectively dead. Pup was still drinking well and was looking good, but was unfortunately pts shortly after.

pup1.jpg

Saradale, did this pups extremities remaining darker while it's litter mates "pinked up'?

Did the vet make any comment about a diagnosis of your pups condition/ i.e. it foot, circulation?

Edited by LizT

pup.jpg

pup1.jpg

Saradale, did this pups extremities remaining darker while it's litter mates "pinked up'?

Did the vet make any comment about a diagnosis of your pups condition/ i.e. it foot, circulation?

Yes, that is correct. Both pups were born with the same extreme redness. after 12hrs, the blue pup had gone from redness to more of a healthy pink colour, while the black pup took longer to start looking "normal", but by this time, the damage had already been done in one paw.

The vet only commented that because they were born premature, the blood was not circulating to their extremities efficiently. The only advice that she could give at the time was to keep them extra warm and well fed so their little bodies could focus on growing stronger.

pup.jpg

pup1.jpg

Yes, that is correct. Both pups were born with the same extreme redness. after 12hrs, the blue pup had gone from redness to more of a healthy pink colour, while the black pup took longer to start looking "normal", but by this time, the damage had already been done in one paw.

The vet only commented that because they were born premature, the blood was not circulating to their extremities efficiently. The only advice that she could give at the time was to keep them extra warm and well fed so their little bodies could focus on growing stronger.

Poor baby. :cry:

So, I'm wondering then if the "reddness" is normal and that it pinks up naturally, but your poor little one had an additional complication due to it's prematurity?

Maybe this "phenonomen" should join the "wives tales" thread. :confused:

So, I'm wondering then if the "reddness" is normal and that it pinks up naturally, but your poor little one had an additional complication due to it's prematurity?

The extreme redness displayed by this litter is by no means the norm for what I have experienced with past litters. All of my past litters have been a nice healthy pinky colour from birth.

It really is amazing the number of things that can go wrong during pregnancy/whelping!!

It's a very, very long list. :(

The extreme redness displayed by this litter is by no means the norm for what I have experienced with past litters. All of my past litters have been a nice healthy pinky colour from birth.

It really is amazing the number of things that can go wrong during pregnancy/whelping!!