Herding For Kelpies

lol nope dont have a good down :laugh: only when he is facing me and in front of me lol

You might be surprised. Abby would do ANYTHING for her release cue onto the sheep- not ideal (for herding training) but i did some amazing heel work patterns with her in the sheep yards :rofl: . Now if only I could take the sheep to an obedience comp.......

I was going to mention Dale Formosa, hes at greenbank. im taking my koolie to a beginners clinic of his on sunday..so i can let u know how that goes.

Just curious to see how it went on Sunday?

I was thinking of taking my Kelpie and giving it a go as a bit of fun as well and Greenbank isnt too far away from me :thumbsup:

well my boy razzle loved it. im hoping to get some pics, as my camera was dead i didnt take it, but hoping to get some off a photographer who was there

now my only real niggle is the fact he doesnt stand for dogs barking...which is fair enough he's being considerate of the neighbours. but i found it stressful in that the dogs who barked were constantly muzzled or told off. so i spent alot of the time worrying about razzle making to much noise. etc

if your kelpie is quiet or that doesnt concern you then by all means he's worth a try.

I think im gonna save my pennies for an eric tighe beginners workshop. so i can at least compare the training styles etc

now my only real niggle is the fact he doesnt stand for dogs barking...which is fair enough he's being considerate of the neighbours. but i found it stressful in that the dogs who barked were constantly muzzled or told off. so i spent alot of the time worrying about razzle making to much noise. etc

if your kelpie is quiet or that doesnt concern you then by all means he's worth a try.

is it only when dogs bark that arent working or is it when dogsbark at all??

my girl doesnt really bark when she is waiting, but goes hammer and tongs when she is a pen

So glad Razzle had fun! Would love to see pics :thumbsup:

Oh dear ours would be out on their ear in nothing flat! :eek: Fortunately these days ours are ok off lead around sheep so we just play ball with them in between runs, but if I have to tie up one and run the other they bark constantly :o The only comfort is that they aren't alone in that at our training :laugh:

i didnt encounter any dog really barking with the sheep, razzle let out a woof and nothing was said about that. but from what i understand dogs are allowed to bark when they are working by law.

his main concern was the dogs tied up and barking.

weasels yes that would be my razzle constantly barking if i were to be working willow. i would hate for someone else to correct my dog when i was distracted :(

I would hate that too :( For us, all the kelpies and one of the other dogs bark a fair bit, the worst anyone's ever done while I was in the ring is move the dog further away from the yard. If I see one of the other dogs going off like a frog in a sock I go give it massage and attention/distraction :)

Edit: although the neighbours at our training are a piggery and a compost factory, so we don't have to worry about that aspect so much! Have you ever heard a piggery at feeding time!? Barking dogs are lyrical by comparison....

Edited by Weasels

The not barking outside (and generally inside too) the yard applies down here.

It usually meant I missed my turn as Abby barked so I couldn't line up with her :( Would be better if they actually took the time to work out why the dog was barking and deal with it instead of just sending dogs away. I do think they SHOULD be able to relax near the sheep and eventually my girl did- but I do think that the training continues outside the yard. Would probably improve some of the dogs performance in the yard too.

As an aside- thats one thing I LOVE about the Lappie- they can't tell me to stop her barking in the yard because that is how they work stock lol. No more trying to keep my dog quiet :thumbsup: