Hip Scores In Lagotto

Hi, I am new this site, and am needing some advice on hip scores in a Lagotto.

I am in contact with a breeder and the parents of her litter have hip scores of 9 and 10. The individual scores are all 1`s and 2`s with one 3 on "subtraction" on one side....does anyone know if this is a normal hip score or not???

Thanks

Tracey.

Edited by Hilton's

Hello :)

I take it that is the total score each for the sire and dam? What are the individual scores for each hip.... If for example the dam's score is the 9 - how is that split for each hip to add up to the 9?

And the subtraction is actually subluxation. :) I don't mean to confuse you...but it is helpful to know what the score is for each hip....to see how balanced the results are....Of course if there is a big discrepancy between the score for each hip it can also mean the dog was set up badly (tilted) for the X-ray, which can also have a big impact on the results.

I don't know about Lagotto's - but for German shepherds you can't have anymore than a score of 8 for each hip or more than 3 on anyone of the measurable points.

Hopefully some wiser Lagotto owners will come on here and let you know what the specifics are for your breed.

Thank you,.... The sire's hips are a 10 with right being total of 4 and left to talking 6, with all points being 0, 1 and 2 except for subluxation which was right hip 2 and left hip 3.

The Dam's hips are a total of 9, total 5 one side and 4 the other, all points are 0, 1 or 2.

Does this all sound ok to you, I was just a little concerned about the "3" in subluxation in the sire?

Thank you,.... The sire's hips are a 10 with right being total of 4 and left to talking 6, with all points being 0, 1 and 2 except for subluxation which was right hip 2 and left hip 3.

The Dam's hips are a total of 9, total 5 one side and 4 the other, all points are 0, 1 or 2.

Does this all sound ok to you, I was just a little concerned about the "3" in subluxation in the sire?

I don't know what the breed averages are for Lagottos but those scores would be acceptable, if not ideal in Border Collies, a similar size breed in Aust. A 4:6 or a 5:4 would ideally be bred to a dog with a lower score if possible but in BCs putting them together would not be considered really high risk. In the UK they would be considered fairly low scores for BCs because they get less really low scores than we do, so their breed average is a bit higher.

I don't know what the breed averages are for Lagottos but those scores would be acceptable, if not ideal in Border Collies, a similar size breed in Aust. A 4:6 or a 5:4 would ideally be bred to a dog with a lower score if possible but in BCs putting them together would not be considered really high risk. In the UK they would be considered fairly low scores for BCs because they get less really low scores than we do, so their breed average is a bit higher.

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions.....just such a big decision, I am not looking for a show dog, just a family pet that hopefully won`t have issues with hips in future.

Edited by Hilton's

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions.....just such a big decision, I am not looking for a show dog, just a family pet that hopefully won`t have issues with hips in future.

With a rare breed it is always harder to get exactly the ideal due to limited breeding choices but for a pet the odds of getting a dog with problem HD from that combination would be slim. You need scores of around 15:15 before the dog starts to be adversely affected but we try to breed from much lower scores. The scores go up to 53:53 so 6 or less for each hip is farely low. Even dogs with good scores can throw the odd really high score so there are no guarantees with hips but mid sized breeds are not particularly susceptable anyway. Good luck with your Lagotto puppy.

Thank you so much for your advice....I now feel happy to go ahead and am going to call the breeder tomorrow.

Thanks again.

With a rare breed it is always harder to get exactly the ideal due to limited breeding choices but for a pet the odds of getting a dog with problem HD from that combination would be slim. You need scores of around 15:15 before the dog starts to be adversely affected but we try to breed from much lower scores. The scores go up to 53:53 so 6 or less for each hip is farely low. Even dogs with good scores can throw the odd really high score so there are no guarantees with hips but mid sized breeds are not particularly susceptable anyway. Good luck with your Lagotto puppy.