Pulling Washing Of The Clothes Line

Guest peteena

Guest peteena

Please can some one give me some idease, we have an American Bull Dog (16 weeks) and he is the best dog but for one thing, he keeps jumping up and pulling the washing of the line. I have tried the ballons with water in them and shopping bag as well and he did jump up and grab a ballon and it broke and water went all over him so I thought that would fix the problem, I left the other ballons on the line just in case and put washing out but as soon as Im out of sight he seems to know the differance between the ballons and the washing and just goes for the washing. Has any one else had this problem and what did they do to solve it, he is so cunning that while we are around he is perfect but as soon as we turn our back he does it, if we could catch him in the act we could punish him and maybe the fright would stop him but at the moment he is winning the war with the washing, I would appreciate any help that anyone could offer. ( Hubby is getting cranky)

Please can some one give me some idease, we have an American Bull Dog (16 weeks) and he is the best dog but for one thing, he keeps jumping up and pulling the washing of the line. I have tried the ballons with water in them and shopping bag as well and he did jump up and grab a ballon and it broke and water went all over him so I thought that would fix the problem, I left the other ballons on the line just in case and put washing out but as soon as Im out of sight he seems to know the differance between the ballons and the washing and just goes for the washing. Has any one else had this problem and what did they do to solve it, he is so cunning that while we are around he is perfect but as soon as we turn our back he does it, if we could catch him in the act we could punish him and maybe the fright would stop him but at the moment he is winning the war with the washing, I would appreciate any help that anyone could offer. ( Hubby is getting cranky)

Fence off the line.

I sincerely doubt his timing is about you turning your back. If he has you to amuse him he doesn't need the washing. Left alone, he seeks to entertain himself.

Are you training him? What toys does he have?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My suggestion would be to completely stop putting clothes on the line while he's in the yard. And don't try again until you are absolutely sure he's past the chewing puppy stage.

It will become a habit, and you don't want him to practise this behaviour.

I am doing this at home at the moment. My standard poodle puppy started getting things off the line. So we're drying clothes on clothing racks inside and telling him off if he goes anywhere near that. He is leaving it alone. But I won't trust him outside with clothing on the line until I am absolutely sure - probably not until Summer and even then I'll be keeping a very close eye on him when clothing is out there (which is not something I find easy to do during Winter).

I had a dog once who destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of clothing off the line. Won't be risking that happening this time. Luckily, he demonstrated his problem to us on towels, not clothes. So at this stage we haven't lost much of value.

Guest peteena

Fence off the line.

I sincerely doubt his timing is about you turning your back. If he has you to amuse him he doesn't need the washing. Left alone, he seeks to entertain himself.

Guest peteena

Fence off the line.

Guest peteena

Thanks for the replies, he is starting training this Saturady and he has lots of toys, pigs ears and plastiv buckets that he loves to throw around. Looks like I will just have to hang the clothes in the house until he is older and gets over this stage. thanks again for you help.

Guest peteena

My suggestion would be to completely stop putting clothes on the line while he's in the yard. And don't try again until you are absolutely sure he's past the chewing puppy stage.

It will become a habit, and you don't want him to practise this behaviour.

I am doing this at home at the moment. My standard poodle puppy started getting things off the line. So we're drying clothes on clothing racks inside and telling him off if he goes anywhere near that. He is leaving it alone. But I won't trust him outside with clothing on the line until I am absolutely sure - probably not until Summer and even then I'll be keeping a very close eye on him when clothing is out there (which is not something I find easy to do during Winter).

I had a dog once who destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of clothing off the line. Won't be risking that happening this time. Luckily, he demonstrated his problem to us on towels, not clothes. So at this stage we haven't lost much of value.

Guest peteena

Thanks for your reply , yes sounds like I will just have to put the washing some where else for the time being. He is such a great dog except for this one bad habit. He is starting training this weekend. thanks again for you advice.

Never had to try it but did read in a book about placing bricks around the washing line and then some wire trellis on top. In theory the surface is uncomfortable for the dog to walk on and so stops them jumping up at the washing. I have no idea how effective this would be and the thickness of the wire would need to be tweaked to suit the dog Im sure. From watching my own puppy crash through several chickenwire and garden trellis wire fences I would think something that would remain ridged under the weight of the dog would be the better option.

An old trick, I believe, for those that were truly desperate and had a steel clothes lines with steel wires, was to attach a low voltage electric fence charger to it and hang wet towels on for them to grab. It won't work though if the lines are synthetic as most are these days.

An ordinary electric fence around the line could also be an option.

Edited by dancinbcs