The Second Dog

BonJosie

Hello all

I haven't been here for quite some time, but lurked quite a lot when my husband and I got our first puppy! She is a lovely little beagle coming up on two years old now. How time flies.

At the beginning of this year we made the decision to expand the brood, and as I was keen to rescue, started looking around. After about six months of searching, we found a little Scottish Terrier X (approx 12 months old) who seemed like a good fit.

We've had Parker for about three weeks now. It's an ongoing adjustment for our spoilt princess Pudding, but she does seem to be enjoying the companionship for the most part!

My husband and I are, however, having a few parenting debates, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice. My questions are below.

1) The bedding situation - Pudding has always slept in the laundry in an open-door crate. When Parker first arrived we didn't have space for a crate, so he had a little dog bed, also in the laundry. After a few nights it turned out they were both sleeping in the crate. My husband thinks this is ideal and they can share the crate forever. I think Pudding deserves a little space from the higher energy Parker, and we should get a second crate so they don't have to share. Thoughts?

2) Dominance - They're still trying to sort this one out, though I believe Pudding is dominant. Their play is rough but definitely playful, but I'm concerned that when not playing, Pudding has started mounting and putting her head over Parker's neck and head. Do we let her assert her dominance in these early days, or do we put a swift stop to that behaviour?

3) We will be taking Parker to group training in a few weeks. Should we take Pudding as well?

Thanks everyone!

Firsty I would worry about them sleeping in the same crate, the door is open and there is another bed in the laundry, if either dog gets hot or bothered they can move. Dogs predominently pack animals will sleep together...mine will often cram onto the same trampoline bed to cuddle with each other :) is it possible you can just get a bigger crate to replace the one you have in there?

In relation to dominance, I dont see any issues with what Pudding is doing, she is asserting herself by what you are saying especially by placing her head over the shoulders of the younnger dog. I wouldnt neccessarily stop this behaviour, however if you said "thats enough" Pudding should then step back, you are ultimately at the top of the pack, so Pudding should respect your authority :)Dogs tend to work out their pack order pretty quickly, unfortunately they can not talk to tell the new kid the rules, so they use the type of body language you describe, the only time this becomes and issues is if the other dog is not accepting this pack order, but it seems Parker is well and truly happy with the way things are :)

With playing, allow them to play, romp and run, but always make sure you can stop them aswell, again a clap of the hands and the word "enough" or "settle". I think its important as owners to be able to control dogs in play and for the dogs to respect when they need to be quiet and settled.

Training, I think you should be taking both dogs to training, it cant hurt and can only benefit you and the dogs :) making the experience positive and spending time bonding with you both. just make sure you change it up, so dont always just train the same dog each, swap so that you each train both dogs :) and make sure both your trainings are consistent :)

Thanks for the advice, Pockets! I do think they're getting on very well for early days, but we can get a little paranoid about the well-being of our fur babies, so assurance is always greatly appreciated.