False Pregnancy? Or Getting Ready For Heat?

Antoun

Hello

I have a female here this is my first season with her, she is 4 yrs old.

She has started acting very weird today.. i.e. nesting, digging into bed and very very friendly..

I am wondering is this possibly a sign for "heat" about to start? or is this false pregnauncy? I do not recall at any stage her going into season in last month or so which normally Pseudopregnancy will set in..

I am confused.. please help... thanks!

It sounds like a phantom pregnancy so she should have been in season 2-3 months ago. How long have you had her? Can you ask her former owners when she was last in season?

She had her last litter in late December 2011.

So does that mean she had her season in June (most prob).. hence next season will be in 1-2 months?

It sounds like a phantom pregnancy so she should have been in season 2-3 months ago. How long have you had her? Can you ask her former owners when she was last in season?

She had her last litter in late December 2011.

So does that mean she had her season in June (most prob).. hence next season will be in 1-2 months?

Her last season was probably May/June but she shouldn't come back in again for about 3-4 months if she is on an approx 6 month cycle but a lot of bitches are not on a regular cycle.

Is it possible to ask the former owners how often she cycles and when her last one was? Date of last litter doesn't really give you any idea.

My girl for example only cycles once every 10 months but was a bit longer between when she had her litter.

As mentioned, you really need to ask the former owners what the usual length of her cycle is and when she was last in season. The length of a cycle can vary greatly from bitch to bitch. While six months is 'average', bitches may cycle from around every 4 months to every 12 months or more. I have never had a bitch with a six month cycle - they have all been different.

ok here it is...

First season: 8-10-09

Next: 18.3.10 mated - missed.

Next: 29.8.10 mated - missed.

Next: 17.3.11 Mated - whelped pups late may.

Next: 13.10.11 mated - whelped late Dec

Is it possible based on this that she is actually in season this month?

well since last season and whelping is when i got her, and hence i did not make any records of her seasons.. i have not noticed any yet.. i doubt i missed it..

so why is she acting like she is having a phantom?

No idea. I cant see her behaviour, dont know her normal behaviour and am not a vet.

Once again I would suggest speaking to the person you got her from and finding out what is normal for her in regards to behaviour before/after seasons and if she has had phantoms.

I hope her breeders are assisting you as mentor or that you have an experienced mento on hand given that it looks like she was with you for her litter at the end of last year. A good mentor is great when there are things like this you re unsure of.