Flyball - Anyone In Gippsland Area?

Hi all,

I have 2 sibes one of which loves balls and fetch and I wouldn't mind giving flyball a go.

I know there's clubs in and around melbourne but was looking for one a bit closer to home, in churchill (near morwell in latrobe valley)

As far as I can tell (from website) the local obedience club doesn't offer it.

Thanks in advance :)

Guest Labradork

I think the Wonthaggi Obedience Club has it, but that might be a bit far for you.

Edited by Labradork

The only clubs that compete in flyball over this way, are Wonthaggi and Berwick (who is probably closest)

There may be clubs that train it but haven't listed themselves as having flyball, so you may just need to call the clubs and ask if no one on here knows :)

Hope you find a club as I would love to see a Sibe compete, there are none doing it in Victoria at the moment. They would be an awesome breed to watch doing it :)

thanks!!

i think the main reason is their inability to be trusted off lead completely,

both of CJ's parents can be off lead (however should a rabbit go past they would be gone lol)

and shes good too and loves balls and fetching and shes fast ;) not entirely sure how she will go with the

box and pushing to eject the ball.....

i know theres a few sibes that do it in NSW and i believe are titled

That's true about the off lead thing but I also think it's because most people assume that and never try.

They pick it up fairly quickly if they are confident dogs (some don't like a ball flying at them :p), so I would practice getting them to catch a ball that comes UP at them rather than throwing it from above so the ball comes down.

That being said though, the box is trained without a ball initially so they can get their turning right as well as get used to it and then a ball is introduced.

Yeah I've seen two doing it usually at Nationals and they don't look as fit as they should be (and are very slow), so would be interesting seeing how fast a fit Sibe runs!

that is true also :)

well shes fit at the moment coming off race season :p cant say she'll stay that fit though LOL

i did a clean run order on friday :o which includes and isqueak so i will try the bounce up, she can catch from above relatively easily. also read some beginners stuff and want to work out which way she turns, was interesting to read that all dogs will generall turn the same way!

It's interesting finding out if they are left or right pawed :D

I have one lefty and two rights, and at the moment have one of each running as the old boy is retired now.

Another thing to try (you've probably read about it already :o) is sending your dog to a stationary ball and reward for coming straight back and quickly giving up the ball. The stationary part is pretty self explanatory as the ball isn't moving in flyball and some dogs don't get what's so exciting about a ball that hasn't been thrown ;)

Quickly giving up the ball, is in case your dog needs to rerun. You want the dog to drop the ball so you can immediately turn him around and getting ready to go again haha

Good luck, I hope to see you in future at comps! I am with the Frankston team (though I do live in Pakenham, so not too far from you!)

If you have any questions I will (try!) and answer them for you :D

thanks so much!!

interestingly i was explaining it to mum last night and thought a video would be easier...

so off to youtube and the first one was crufts and i thought this will be a good example, they use different boxes!

i think i like those better sending the ball over the top instead of at them... not much i can do abotu that though!

wonthaggi and berwick are diffinitely the 'closest' to me :(

thanks so much!!

interestingly i was explaining it to mum last night and thought a video would be easier...

so off to youtube and the first one was crufts and i thought this will be a good example, they use different boxes!

i think i like those better sending the ball over the top instead of at them... not much i can do abotu that though!

wonthaggi and berwick are diffinitely the 'closest' to me :(

I think the boxes they use in England cause more injuries than the style used here and the States. I am with Berwick, we train on Saturdays, would be great to have a couple of sibes. We've had one or two train with us but they haven't progressed past beginners.

I vaguely remember someone from Eastside telling me they ran a clinic for a Gippsland club that was interested in starting flyball, might have been Sale?? I don't know what the status of that is.

great! i sent an email and it was going to get passed onto the flyball leaders.

will only be one though, CJ LOL i cant trust cleo off lead and shes not a ball fan...

hopefully il be able to make it to the nov 10 members day to have a look and maybe see how interested CJ is!

if it was sale and they continued its about the same distance as berwick....