A Heart To Break

Silverblue

I am in tears reading some of these posts so soon after our beautiful Chloe was PTS.

A friend once told me " Give your heart to a dog & they will break it everytime "

how true this is.

Chloe is the 1st Cocker I have had to have PTS, it was the most painful thing I have ever had to do.

Just remember they will all be there waiting for us, tongues hanging out, tails wagging.

That's what I think anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laurie

Sorry to hear about chloe, Our dear black cocker spaniel passed over to rainbow bridge about 5 weeks ago. We still miss Jet very much. He was the kindest, most gentle cocker spaniel. I sometimes think dogs are much nicer than humans. Hang in there I know how you are feeling.

I am in tears reading some of these posts so soon after  our beautiful Chloe was PTS.

A friend once told me " Give your heart to a dog & they will break it everytime "

how true this is.

Chloe is the 1st Cocker I have had to have PTS, it was the most painful thing I have ever had to do.

Just remember they will all be there waiting for us, tongues hanging out, tails wagging.

That's what I think anyway.

Kipling's 'Power of the dog' gets me every time, all about giving your heart to a dog:

THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way

From men and women to fill our day;

And when we are certain of sorrow in store,

Why do we always arrange for more?

Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware

Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

and so it goes on.

Those cockies are really such wonderful dogs to know, so sorry to hear about your losses.

Edited by FrankieB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kimmy

Hi everyone I just wanted to know how do you know when its time to say goodbye?

I have a 11y 7 m Rottweiler named Codie who is not very well he was put on Rimadyl just over a year ago, and everything was fine he was walking better but just in the last week he has gone down hill very quickly, I thought I was helping him giving him this drug but instead I think I gave him cancer of the liver. :rolleyes: the Vet is still telling me that its not the drug but the age of Codie but after looking up the drug I dont know so much. I do hope he can forgive me :confused:

The best thing you can do for your baby is to have the insight, as to know when.

The pain relief your baby is on is the same as my girl & it is really not a long term solution, I alway believe that you know when it's time, don't feel guilty, know that you are doing the very best thing for your best friend that you can.

It's just SOOOOOOOOO bloody hard

Kimmy

I lost two girls, mini schnauzers 22 weeks and 20 weeks ago, Both died of a horrible hemolytic anemia. The first one, Boo was on Rymadyl for 10 days and it killed her. She died in hospital. I would not take this drug under any circumstances. My second girl, Hans, was PTS. Get another opinion. 11.7 isn't old. Ask a new vet about hemolitic anemia it affects the liver and can be caused by rymadyl.

If the time does come, you'll know. It will not be easy but I have to say having experienced both death in hospital without being there and being with my Hans when she was PTS, I would choose any day to hold their hand, kiss them and help them through the hardest moment of their life. It is a very peaceful thing. Its only when you leave that the real pain starts.

So sorry to hear of all your losses my sympathies to all, its a very hard thing loosing a canine family member I lost one in January and it nearly killed me, I also mourn for my others that have gone before them as well. I have heard bad things about rimadyl however I have used it for years on and off and never had a problem with it. I currently have two dogs on it for various reasons one has had it several times and its the first time for the jack russell so heres hoping she is okay. Sorry to read about your experiences, with this drug I have found it to be very good with my dogs, but like all medication its up to the individual dog and how the drug works or doesnt work for them.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Laurie

Hi Kimmy

I know that it is really hard to PTS an animal that you love so much. Your dog will always love you and you him.While Jet had cancer he was still able to eat well and I nursed him for 2yrs. However the day came when I knew that he had to be pts. Our vet advised me that it was his time. Knowing that I had done everything medically and humanly possible. I took him to the vet, which really ripped my heart out as Jet was patting my hand on the way to the vets. I'm sorry that you probably don't want to put your dog to sleep. But gently hold on to his his hand and you will know when the time is right.