Christmas Treat Recipes

TheCheekyMonster

If you have some good Christmas dog treat recipes post them in here, im keen to bake.

I have noticed a lot of dog commercial/boutique treats contain sugar of some sort, I would assume the addition of sugar is not necessary?

And egg is not used.... :S (if there is already a thread for this someone point me in the direction) cheers.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

This is the mix I make, if we have left over vegies they get mashed up and put in carrots/peas/pumpkin mix is really tasty. Sometimes I can't be bothered to make the bone shapes so just use a sharp knife to cut into squares before baking. really easy recipe the dogs love love love it and hard to go wrong.

2 1/2 cups flour (I use banana flour it's gluten free)

2 tablespoons almond meal

2 extra large eggs, lightly beaten

3/4 cup pumpkin puree

1 small bunch parsley chopped fine'ish

1/4 cup cold water or enough to make dough stick

Preheat oven to 180.

Line two baking sheets with baking paper.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Mix eggs and pumpkin and parsley together in a separate bowl until smooth.

Add pumpkin mix to dry mixture in two parts, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula.

Add water, a teaspoon or two at a time until the dough comes together – use your hands to mix

Roll dough out between two pieces of waxed paper to desired thickness. (I rolled mine 1/4 inch thick.) Remove top piece of paper, flip dough onto floured counter, and then cut biscuits using desired cookie cutter. Re-roll and cut scraps until you’ve used every possible bit of dough.

Place biscuits on lined baking sheets. If using a dog bone shaped cutter, you can make a pattern in the middle using the tines of a fork. Gently press down, wiggle a little, then lift out.

Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until the top of the biscuit has dried out completely. Remove tray from oven and flip biscuits over. Return to oven, rotating cookie sheet, and bake for another 20 – 25 minutes until biscuits are completely dry. Let biscuits cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

This is the mix I make, if we have left over vegies they get mashed up and put in carrots/peas/pumpkin mix is really tasty. Sometimes I can't be bothered to make the bone shapes so just use a sharp knife to cut into squares before baking. really easy recipe the dogs love love love it and hard to go wrong.

3/4 cup pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 180.

Add pumpkin mix to dry mixture in two parts, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula.

Add water, a teaspoon or two at a time until the dough comes together – use your hands to mix

Roll dough out between two pieces of waxed paper to desired thickness. (I rolled mine 1/4 inch thick.) Remove top piece of paper, flip dough onto floured counter, and then cut biscuits using desired cookie cutter. Re-roll and cut scraps until you've used every possible bit of dough.

Place biscuits on lined baking sheets. If using a dog bone shaped cutter, you can make a pattern in the middle using the tines of a fork. Gently press down, wiggle a little, then lift out.

Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until the top of the biscuit has dried out completely. Remove tray from oven and flip biscuits over. Return to oven, rotating cookie sheet, and bake for another 20 – 25 minutes until biscuits are completely dry. Let biscuits cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

:thumbsup:

BASIC DOUGH

Dough:

280g flour

50 g butter

1 whole egg (crushed shell included)

A couple of tablespoons of chicken stock (you could use water)

A bunch of parsley chopped up fine'ish

Garlic (only if I have some laying around)

Mix the butter, egg and stock in a blender. put the flour on a board/work surface, make a well in the middle and pour the mixture into the well, add flavour (see below) and kneed well, adding more flour/chicken stock as necessary.Roll out and cut desired shaped and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about 20 mins

To this dough I've added (on seperate occasions not all at once even I have my limits :laugh: )

a large tin of sardines mushed up if adding this one I don't add the butter to the basic dough.

left over vegies mashed up

lambs liver swooshed through the blender (our coles sells these in packs of 3 I put the whole lot in)

Chicken / Beef Ham / Bacon any left over meat if I'm adding leftover meat I toss in a handful of tasty cheese.

3/4 cup pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 180.

Roll dough out between two pieces of waxed paper to desired thickness. (I rolled mine 1/4 inch thick.) Remove top piece of paper, flip dough onto floured counter, and then cut biscuits using desired cookie cutter. Re-roll and cut scraps until you've used every possible bit of dough.

These sound great how long would they last ( if your dog doesnt eat them of course? )