Herding Registration Question For Mixed Breed Farm Dogs In Vic

Hi there. I'm finally looking at registering my dogs (filled out the forms yay!) so I can begin herding competitions next year. Just wondering if someone knows the answer as to who I need to be registered with as I've tried contacting the Dogs Victoria office with no luck.

I have mixed breed dogs kelpie x bc. As far as I can tell I need to:

Join the Victorian Working Sheep Dog Assn (which I assume means I become a member of the ANKC approved Australian Sheepdog Worker's Assn as their website redirects to Vic W.S.D.A for VIC).

Have my dogs inspected to for proof of working ability by the Vic W.S.D.A & register them.

Join Dogs Victoria and register my dogs in the Sporting register by means of them being registered with Vic W.S.D.A.

Has anyone done this before? As it's reasonably expensive I was hoping to get confirmation in case I need to go down a different path before sending off my money :)

Thanks

Yep Associate dogs can compete in herding trials so long as they are a mix or apparent mix of a herding breed.

This is taken from the DogsSA website:

"Mixed breeds may be accepted provided they are a mix or apparent mix of herding breeds. These must be Associate Registered Dogs"

Edited by ness

In SA you can register your dogs as either associates or on the sporting register. If on sporting your dogs also need to be on an approved register to be kept entire but for associate you don't, but they need to be desexed. I'm sure they'd have associate in Vic?

Registration is same Australia wide, on nationla register, just some states were a bit slow coming on board LOL

Associates must be desexed, Sporting Register not, but must be registered with an "approved body' (see ANKC Herding regs area)