Pancreatitis In Dogs

SeeGee

Our dog with pancreatitis has kangaroo meat, natures gift the kangaroo one, rice and veges and a 4x2 biscuit, has been on this a couple of years now and has been fine.

Yes I have to agree with Grace this diet ias ideal also fish grilled is great my rule of thumb for pancreatitis is 7% fat and under nothing over best of luck

• 2 weeks later...

It would depend on how severe the situation is. It depends on how much function they still have left. They are not simply on a standard science diet. Hills has prescription diets that are designed for specific diseases. While I do not trust hills standard foods I do respect the prescription diets they produce. If they did not put so much research into prescription diets they might be able to come up with some better standard foods. but many a dogs life has been saved via the prescription diets. Stating what is known about there standard foods is not stating what is known about the prescription foods.

If the dog has a mild or medium severity case then they would be fine doing their own thing, provided they did so carefully. If it is incredibly severe and they are just keeping the dog alive then it would be in my opinion very niave to do anything other than prescription food. It is the severity of the condition that determines what is really needed. If they are also on medication then that would have an affect.

The people who have commented here had dogs who recovered from it. A dog with a profound case of it, cannot ever recover from it. It is about keeping them alive in the best way possible. There is a big difference between having a temporary experience of something and having the disease permanently in a life threatening manner.

I know someone who had a raw diet designed by a veterniary nutritionist to take into account the dogs pancreatitis. But it was a profound form of the condition. They almost died. Moved back ont the prescription diet they are still alive 2 years later and thriving.