Introducing A Toddler

TikaAkita

Hi all,

I will soon be introducing a family members 2 year old toddler to my 10 month old Akita, Tika.

My dog hasnt met many children as the ones that I knew were quite reactive around her and just wanted to squeal (at 7yrs old!) and run around and stress her. So there was a bit of interaction with 'little people' but I decided she was better off not spending time with these kids rather than having stressful, potentially negative experiences with them.

Thats the back story. I'm just after some advice on introducing an extreamly quiet, well behaved 2 year old. If Tika gets along with the child they will be seeing a lot of each other. Hence why I'm keen for it to go well.

I've been on this site and found it very helpful http://www.liamjperkfoundation.org/stress.html

This is probably a 'done to death' topic, I'd be happy if someone could even just link me to previous conversations.

Thanks! :)

I'd be inclined to simply have your dog in a crate (assuming crate-trained). Give her a treat for being in there. Greet your family member and toddler and effectively ignore worrying about your dog save for YOU giving her a treat here and there throughout the visit, providing she is calm in the crate. Have the toddler leave your dog well alone as well. If the visit is short, I'd leave it at that and let your dog out of the crate once the toddler has left. Phase 1 - Children are no big deal.

This step can repeated over and over at visits and when appropriate, you could then bring your dog out on lead, to come over and simply sit/lay on her mat. Have the toddler leave your dog alone. Phase 2 - Children are no big deal, even when (dog) is not in the crate.

Go from there, each step ONLY proceeding if your dog is calm. Avoid making the focus of visits about the dog and child interacting.

In the meantime, get your dog used to having her tail and ears pulled (within reason). Reward her with a treat when you apply pressure (including grabbing hold of coat and also the collar). This will get her more used to the sensation than she otherwise might be.

If the toddler cries, call your dog to you first (provided the crying isn't because the toddler is hurt or in need of immediate urgent attention) and give your dog a reward. Then attend the child. Repeating this whenever the opportunity presents itself teaches the dog that when a child cries a treat is on offer from you and will have the resultant effect of the dog coming to you rather than rushing over to the child.

Also, looking at it from the other side, depending on the level of comprehension of the toddler, get the parents to teach the child how to behave too. They need to know: No running, screaming, flapping, no sticking your face in the dogs face and staring, no patting the dog directly on the top of its head etc....reward the child for calm quiet behaviour too. (positive reinforcement works amazingly well with small humans!!!) :D

Guest donatella

I'm doing this now to my niece and nephew babies and my puppy who has just had both her legs broken by a child dropping her.

I spent some time with my niece and some cheese and made Bonnie 'sit' and 'stay' and the baby gave it to her. Built a bit of trust for them both. Poor Bomnie has to learn trust again with kids, thank goodness she's got a beautiful nature.

85889E05-D07A-4D83-9C4F-CC69312CA443-22315-0000480ADFB39A2D.jpg

Edited by donatella

I'm sorry Donatella, but that's not a method I'd be recommending. In your instance yes, there is a fear that your pup needs help to overcome (and I'm so sorry that pup has had such a bad experience to begin with :( ), but the problem can come when confidence begins to build yet fear still exists. The pup (or dog, as we are talking generally) builds sufficient confidence to approach and take the treat from baby, but if baby moves unexpectedly the reflex reaction from the pup/dog could be a snap with the teeth.

The other problem that could result is a pup or dog who believes babies = treats from them. This can result in the pup or dog learning to become too expectant/excited/pushy towards a baby whenever the baby (or any other) is present.

In my opinion, the treat should come from you and the baby should not be left alone as the one to deliver it.

For the OP, we're not talking about existing learnt fear, but I would be inclined to work in a similar framework as what I've written in my earlier post as the result you want is a calm dog around babies and not one where the dog expects anything. Think forward to what the result could possibly become and work now to train for how you want your pup to be as an adult towards babies. I agree that you have a strong negative to try to rebalance to a "0", but I'd be careful about putting that in the hands of a baby.

Edited by Erny

I did pretty much what erny did.

Dogs in crates and rewarded for being good, then dogs on leads and now can have kaos running free with the kids (always supervised)

The kids that I had to bring in have no idea about animals and I still have to watch them 100% of the time but kaos loves them because they have now started training her and she thinks it's great. (I just don't have the energy these days)

My dogs have been around My niece but it was a very different situation because niece is very very dog savvy and my dogs would always listen to her, where these two would squeal and cry and stir kaos up more.

Take it slow, don't push your dog and keep an eye on things at all times :) good luck!!

Guest donatella

Thanks for the tips Erny :D

I'm definitely no dog trainer :rofl:

I'm just lucky the puppy is food driven and tiny and her nature is very sweet and sooky. I wouldn't do it with my other girl who doesn't like kids at all and I know to keep her away from them full stop.

Thanks for the great replies everyone! I've been away for the weekend so I've only just read through the post.

I can't bring myself to take my eyes of the child when I'm minding just him alone :) I'd be much too anxious to leave them alone together! Theres far too much room for disaster. But thanks for the reminder :)

Erny that sounds like a good plan, Tika is crate trained (one of the best things ever, makes transitions less stressful for her).

Avoid making the focus of visits about the dog and child interacting

I like this advice. Hadn't thought of it that way.

I will definitely try to teach the child to be calm and relaxed around the dog. The last dog he spent time with was very boistrous (although somewhat harmless) and may have scared him off dogs a bit. The family would like it if he could spend time with animals, even if it comes down to just watching 'the puppy' through the glass door.

Donatella-I can't believe how your dogs legs got broken! It is really shocking and reinforces how delicate small puppies are. Hope your pup is healing well both physically and mentally!

I'll try and add an update of how it goes when I take Tika for a visit in a couple weeks.