First Show

valleygirl

Hi,

I am taking my 5 1/2 month old puppy to a show this weekend. She has been once before and was handled by someone who knew what they were doing and she used her lead etc. It will be a first for me apart from one practice at a ribbon parade.

I only have a choker chain. Is this ok to use. The question has probably been asked before so sorry if I have doubled up. Also any type of lead recommended. She is an Anatolian so is quite tall.

Thanks in advance.

I cant say about the Anatolian its a lot bigger than my terriers, but I do use a choker chain on a few of mine in the ring. Some of mine will go on a cord lead but I have a few that like to test me a bit in the ring (typical terriers) so I do use a choker especially with young pups till they grow a brain. I have handled malamutes and Dobermanns on thin cord leads but these were more mature dogs. Being A pup I would probably use the choker until she settles down.

At 5 1/2 months I wouldnt be too harsh on her. You don't want her to resent it. Just gentle tugs on the lead to settle her down and get her attention its more about the sound the chain makes than the actual choking action. Dont be too harsh on the choker by yanking your dog off its feet as it may be seen as abuse which is not allowed in the ring and will cause her to resent the whole thing.

At this age most judges accept the pup to play up a bit. If she starts jumping around while on the move it may be that you need to speed up a bit but you only want her to trot, not sprint run flat out. Take her to a park or somewhere first to see how she behaves on the lead. You may find she might behave perfectly.

The biggest issue would probably keep yourself calm. Many young dogs play up because the handler is very nervous.

Perhaps just before going in the ring walk her around somewhere away from the entry gate to help her and yourself settle down. And remember that win or lose she is still the same dog either way and the judge is only giving an opinion. As with everything everyone has different opinions so don't take it too much too heart. We have had some that used to get beaten when they were younger but when they grew up they beat the others back.

Also let the steward know its your first time. They understand. Everyone has to have a first time.

Above all have fun and enjoy the wins and loses equally.

Yes, it is ok to use a choker chain. I always use a choker chain, even on pups. Make sure it fits properly. Not too chunky and thick, but also not too thin.

I use a reasonably short lead - about 60cm or so long - as I find this easier with the big guys. Even with pups, because they are a good height you don't generally need all the extra length. You will work out what suits you in time though as different people prefer different things.

Not sure where you are and what you have available there, but a soft plain nylon or leather show lead is good to start with. Of a reasonable thickness to hold a large dog and not be hard on your hands. Don't get anything too thin.

From there when it comes to leads you can really go crazy with all the bling that is available these days. But they are just fun and not essential - particularly when you are just starting out and working out what suits you.

As mentioned above, just make it fun and don't be afraid to make mistakes. We have all been there :)

• 3 weeks later...

Likewise, have fun but more importantly make sure your puppy has fun.

Let your puppy blunder, allow your self to blunder, and laugh about it then and later.

An exhibition of Canine/Human love beats the rigorous, cantankerous, impatience of a 'win at all costs' competitor anyday.

• 4 weeks later...