Australian Woman Charged With Illegal Export Of Dingoes

j

As a third oddity to that story they planned to take him overseas for a few months so they wouldn't have to be seperated from him but surely his stint overseas would necessitate a period of quarantine on the return trip that would have resulted in them being seperated anyway? At any rate i agree that this is the fault of the customs people. A very sad outcome for that little fella.

Err, what possible role would Customs play here? It was an export, and even with imports they don't unnecessarily delay animal cargo clearance for this sort of reason.

MASKargo has airconditioned premises in KL where a lot of the dogs transit. Don't know why they don't in Sydney.

Customs may not play a big role in exports from here but the airlines do require the dogs to be lodged way early

and I am not sure about the care levels at he airport.

Imports however are AT THE MERCY of the wretched CUSTOMS and AQUIS staff who have NO INTENTION of putting themselves out for an animial. I brought in a dog and he was held over half way due to a problem with the plain. So this poor dog arrives in Sydney at 6am. He is left in the shed ALL DAY in his crate as the staff only pick up once a day and that is

really late afternoon. By this time the poor thing has been in transit for 3 days and I do not believe that AQUIS lived up to their duty of care at all. If he had been in that shed in summer he to could have been a victim of the system.

Edited by zoiboy

Customs may not play a big role in exports from here but the airlines do require the dogs to be lodged way early

Imports however are AT THE MERCY of the wretched CUSTOMS and AQUIS staff who have NO INTENTION of putting themselves out for an animial. I brought in a dog and he was held over half way due to a problem with the plain. So this poor dog arrives in Sydney at 6am. He is left in the shed ALL DAY in his crate as the staff only pick up once a day and that is

really late afternoon. By this time the poor thing has been in transit for 3 days and I do not believe that AQUIS lived up to their duty of care at all. If he had been in that shed in summer he to could have been a victim of the system.

I agree that is very upsetting, but pickup is solely the responsibility of AQIS. I hope you wrote a letter to the Minister about it.

I agree that is very upsetting, but pickup is solely the responsibility of AQIS. I hope you wrote a letter to the Minister about it.

I wrote letters to not only the minister but also to AQUIS as well. I was APPALED that AQUIS can treat our precious

animials like this. I pointed out to them that if hey are not going to give us the chance to make our own arrangments to collect the dog in an expiedient fashion then they should do so and not just leave it to sit in, heaven knows what condition, until they are good and ready. I also pointed out that my dog should have seen a vet THAT day and I was NOT at all impressed with them. They let EI into the general population (and want us to pay for it) and they have not learn't much from that experiance as there are no foot baths to paddle thu and only once were we asked to wash our hands.

e

I can't say I blame the owners, it's a horrible situation and as far as I am concerned the transport company should not have taken on the carriage of a pup they couldn't manage. They should have had the knowledge he was brachycephalic and acted accordingly, they're the professionals and they know how the system works in regard to the cargo handlers etc. For any critter to be found stiff, covered in poo and vomit means they were not checking him enough or adequately. If they didn't feel they could take the job on, they shouldn't have.

I know there's only one side to the story here and it derails the thread a little, but I can not for the life of me see how blaming the owner is fair.

Poor guys, the owners and the dog. What an awful way to go and an awful way to find him. If nothing else the way it was handled sounds messy and awful.

As far as I can tell the owners thought they were doing the right thing, had the vet checks, forked out a fair bit of money to someone they trusted, who took on the duty of care and failed to follow through.

Horrible situation for everyone.

How can the transport co. be negligent in their duty of care. The owners would have shipped the dog regardless. The owners made the decision to proceed despite the warnings. Animal travel had the dog in airconditioning and even had the required vet clearances and last minute Aquis requirements done at an air conditioned vet and held the dog here until the last minute. then that is only a 5 minute drive from the airport lodgement counters. Once lodged, sometimes 4 hours prior to departure, the duty of care has moved to the airline and their cargo handlers. No neglect or duty of care breach on animal travels behalf.