Off Leash Dog

Guest hanko

Guest LittleMissOdie

I am confused as to why she would think a dog on a lead would make her dog reactive :confused:

My experience is it is usually the dog on the leash that reacts.

But yes, you did nothing wrong.

Korbin there are actually instances of this happening. I think sometimes the dogs can get too familiar with their surroundings and deem the park to be 'theirs'. It happens at my local park with some of the dogs who go every day. One dog in particular actually approaches and barks at people who walk through the park without a dog, but he's fine with people who have dogs with them and yes, I've seen all too often a herd of dogs rush up to an on lead dog and bark in its face. Most of the regulars are pretty quick to call their dogs away, but the way I see it, they should be more aware of people approaching and stop their dogs before they have the chance to rush off. It is very intimidating to both dog and owner to be rushed at -- even if they are all friendly dogs. .

Very true riverstar. Korbin I think her reasoning was that my dog's behaviour on leash was the reason her dog started charging :confused: we had just entered the area and admittedly my dog was a tad excited but I was in the process of stopping and getting her to sit at my feet (to which she obliged) before continuing on our way. I don't think my dog had never acted aggressively on lead. I try to not put her in a situation where dogs rush up to her but where I live it sometimes cannot be helped. She is always a great sport when it happens, even in one instance where we weren't anywhere near a remotely legal off leash area and a couple of idiots let their little terrier charged up to her and bite her right on the face! I was shocked. She must have nerves of steel and/or is just happy and dumb because it doesn't stop her from trying to love up on every dog she sees.

I posted because its not the first time someone has commented about my dog being on leash around off leash dogs and I genuinely wanted to hear from others on the rules/etiquette regarding this.

My dog is abit ball obsessed and if there was a ball at an off leash park he would definitely go for it. I would also probably have to spend the whole time holding onto my dog if the person with the ball stayed there. So no, I don't think it's fair if people bring toys to the off leash park and expect dogs not to be attracted to them. If the dog was just holding the toy in the mouth the whole time I could probably still manage it, but throw in a game of fetch and squeaky noises and I have got no chance.

Then you need to do some more training with your dog.

I take your point but I also think its not fair to expect every dog in the off leash park to be perfectly trained. If it is a huge park fair enough but to bring in toys or even food to a smaller space is not something I would do and expect other dogs to bugger off.