Puppy Pre-schools - Canberra

Lexi-Taj

Hi guys!

Can anyone recommend a great puppy pre-school in Canberra? Preferably one that runs on a Sunday.

Somewhere that will teach socialization, basic commands (sit stay) and loose leash walking.

Although we do training at home, I think it's important for my hubby to take our newest addition to puppy pre-school not only for socialization but so my hubby can learn to train our pup more effectively. (Plus it gives me and our older dog a break!).

Any one recommend anywhere/anyone?

How old is your puppy?

All of the community based clubs have classes on Sundays but the minimum age for training is 3 months.

She is 14 weeks. She has had her 12 week vaccination (vet is recommending another at 16 weeks) .

Is their a particular club you recommend over another?

Old enough then.

The Community clubs are at Narrabundah (CDC), Tuggeranong (TDTC) and Mitchell (Belconnen DTC). All have websites as far as I know.

RSPCA also conduct classes but are a lot more expensive.

Thank you! A lot of veterinary clinics also offer classes, as do the larger pet stores. I just wanted recommendations that people have used and been happy with the training methods.

How old is your puppy?

All of the community based clubs have classes on Sundays but the minimum age for training is 3 months.

She is 14 weeks. She has had her 12 week vaccination (vet is recommending another at 16 weeks) .

Not really. Belco and CDC are larger than Tuggers but all pretty much have similar training programs (and sometimes the same instructors) so I'd probably go for the closest one. CDC does have off lead areas for members to use outside of trraining hours if that makes any difference.

How old is your puppy?

Not really. Belco and CDC are larger than Tuggers but all pretty much have similar training programs (and sometimes the same instructors) so I'd probably go for the closest one. CDC does have off lead areas for members to use outside of trraining hours if that makes any difference.

Hmmm I'll check with hubby to see what is more convenient for him :)

I don't. Don't need to worry about off leash we have a big yard and live out towards the mountains so plenty of run space!

I guess I'll also have to see when their next puppy term starts also, or do they just start you off whenever?

As far as vet based ones I cannot recommend the Animal Medical Centre at Phillip highly enough. Our pups graduated from there last night and it was a very positive experience for everyone. It is run by Sandra Hassett, who is not only a well respected vet and chiropractor, but is also a behaviourist, a breeder and competes in a variety of sports with her own dogs.

We are members of BDOC so tossing up whether or not to register our pups in the upcoming classes too. Ours are a little older (17.5 weeks).