House Training A 6 Month Old Foster

Loreley

We have taken on a 6 month old Koolie girl who has had no training. It took a few days for her to work out the doggy door, but even though that is now easy she continues to wee & pooh inside. I am in the process of doing the vinegar/water to remove the smell in the area that she is going to but would appreciate any other tips on how to help to retrain her to go outside.

I'd approach toilet training the same way I would with any dog/pup. Take her outside on a leash as often as possible and praise her whenever she goes to the toilet with lots of treats and pats. Most importantly make sure she is taken out straight after she wakes from a sleep, and after meals. Plus every hour or so during the day just till she gets the hang of it. Are you crate training? as that cn be a very helpful tool on toileting training. Koolies are incredibly intelligent it won't take her long to twig :)

We had a set back with house training. (Grrrr, teenagers)

Thought we'd never have a house trained dog.

In the end we crated her constantly. If she whined it was out to toilet, then back in crate. Lots of praise, short play/train sessions then crate. Did this for a week then let her out for longer, giving her some free time in the house. If in that time she so much as looked at the door, we took her out. Lots of praise, although for her she twigged that quick wees gets you back inside for a short and frantic hassle the cats session.

We now have a dog who body slams the door to let us know she needs out. (Which is better than scratching! And much better than weeing)