Converting Nef Files In Photoshope

Nushie

Hi all,

So we got Photoshop CS6 I shot all my photos in NZ in RAW and JPG. So i have just downloaded them onto my external drive to start playing around with them, and Photoshop wont open the NEF files.... So i googled it etc and it said i had to convert them in Bridge, so i followed the instructions and it said to convert them to JPG. Is that what I need to do?? If so what is the point in shooting in RAW just to convert it back to JPG?? I have to be missing something but i just cannot find the answer in google!

Any links or advice is greatly appreciated, the DVD didnt come with a manual and i have searched the directory where it was installed and i cannot find a softcopy manual either.

HELP!!!

RAW files need to be processed. I use Adobe Lightroom, but you probably got free software with your camera if you check the discs.

Didnt even think of that! I did get a disc with my camera, just assumed it was a manual on disc so never looked at it. I will check it out when i get home.

Thanks for everyones replies. When i went to the Photoshop site to see if my camera is compatible my camera is listed on there so it should work fine. But i will check for updates when i get home to make sure that MY version is current :)

Thanks guys can always count on you!

Check that Photoshop has the latest Camera Raw update (Help > Updates).

This worked! Ran the update and we are in business!!

Now to filter through my thousands of holiday photos and start to sort them out :)