Doggy Bank Account.

ewwhippy

I don't keep a separate account for the dogs, but I always keep a buffer for emergencies of any sort of $5k+. Sh#t happens. Bloat, car accident, blown engine on car . . . . there are hundreds of possible events that could put you in the hole overnight. Ongoing expenses can vary from $1/day per dog to $4/day depending on how you manage such things as flea meds, heartworm meds, vaccinations, and toys, and how expensive you go when buying dog food. If you travel and are going to need to put your dog in kennels, or you will need grooming, add this in, too. Giant breeds and high health risk breeds are going to end out on the high end.

I calculated out the price of buying and owning a Border Collie for 15 years at about $25,000 or close to $140 per month averaged over a lifetime. That includes purchase, food, vets costs, chiropractor, worming, heartworm, flea and tick prevention in a tick area and everything else including grooming products and eventual euthanasia and cremation, provided there are no major illnesses or accidents before old age. If the dog is a show or performance dog you can double that figure for training, entry fees, travel and accomodation. If you are not in a tick area take off about $15-$20 per month. Apart from initial puppy vaccinations most vet bills will be in the senior years. Most of my oldies have run up about an average of about $1000 a year on medications in their last 2 or 3 years plus they need more tests and x-rays but vet visits are rare as younger dogs for most of them.

Edited by dancinbcs