Looking For A Kelpie Rescue In Vic

My dumb friends got a Kelpie puppy.

I posted about this a while ago in Off-Topic. But Troy moved my post to General, so I had to madly modify my post in case my friends saw it –I'd encouraged them to look to DOL for information. So even if you saw the original thread you may not know the whole story.

Briefly, my friends are a family of two parents and four kids. They already have an old kelpie x rescue whom they love, so they thought they'd add another kelpie to the family. The puppy came from "a breeder", according to my friend – but the breeder let them take her at six weeks, so I doubt this is a pedigree thing.

The puppy is absolutely gorgeous. The problem is she's dominant and food + dog + people aggressive.

I absolutely believe she would not be like this if she'd spent more time in the litter and then been trained properly from the get-go. My friends aren't dog people, and they didn't know what they were getting themselves into. They have done stupid things – they kept the puppy a metre away from the dog food, so she became protective/aggressive. She doesn't get enough exercise so she is hyper. She has bitten all the kids so now they're scared of her. No one has taught her recall, so no one takes her for a decent off-lead walk because she has no recall and they're scared she'll run on the road. They don't know how to handle her so she's just in the backyard all the time. She barks, so to shut her up they give her bones – and then she gets food aggressive about the bones... It's a vicious cycle.

I did try to steer them in the right direction, but I failed. Now they are at the point of rehoming the dog. TBH, I absolutely would love to see her rehomed to a better fit – I don't think the family can be adequately trained to be good owners.

She's still a puppy – probably about six months – and she has a crap life. But she's a gorgeous girl and would be an amazing dog for somebody who was prepared to exercise and train her. They just have no idea. Their original dog, the old kelpie x, was over five (but probably closer to seven) when they got her. She just wanted a daily stroll around the park and lots of cuddles.

They are going to try the breeder first. But if that doesn't work out, can someone please refer me to a good Kelpie rescue in Victoria?

P.S. I would take her, but: a. I work long hours and couldn't spend meaningful time with her, which is what she needs, b. I rent and couldn't get approval to have her (I live next door to my landlord), and c. my dog has an injury and it would be unfair to foist a boisterous puppy on her – they have met and even my dog-averse, people-loving Labrador loved her, but the Kelpie's roughhousing did aggravate her injury within – literally – seconds. .

That's the thing. She's a great dog. She just needs attention and training. I would love to be able to suggest a way for her to get a good home so my friends don't make yet another mistake by giving her to someone inappropriate. She'd be a great working dog I think, but also a great companion dog for someone willing to put the time in.

Recommendations gratefully received.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Predictably, the dog did not suit the family. As I said, she was food aggressive, under-exercised and bit several of the kids. Eventually, they called the breeder for help.

As suss as I was of the breeder (who I never met or had anything to do with) he/she listened to their story and were happy to take the lovely girl back. They have guaranteed they'll find her a better home. Obviously I have no idea if this is true, but the fact they were so willing to listen really heartens me. I'm hoping this gorgeous dog will have a happy life elsewhere, preferably as a working dog or with a person/family with a lot of experience living with and training kelpies.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to report that the family have learnt their lesson. They feel guilty and ashamed about what happened and I know they'll never do this to a puppy again.